Wich Cake Can Use????help, Please!

Baking By carmenscake_helsinki Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm by KoryAK

carmenscake_helsinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenscake_helsinki Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

It is already 1 year I'm watching this marvalous forum and lot of things I have learned from here.Now I feel confident to post a new topic here
I live in Finland and people here love very fluffly , sponge cake.
My fondant cakes are 10 cm high, with 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling. And I always let my cakes sets overnight with weight on the top.
The thing is that I'm always worried after covering with fondant if the cake will start to smash and not hold!
It never happened but I'm never sure...I can't thrust the cake!
Usualy I don't do a heavy decoration on my cakes, just some characters molded my hand with fondant or marzipam, but some orders are coming where I need to build up things on the cake and also a wedding cake is waiting for me in 2 months.

Certainly I would apeal for a box cake and follow the tips given here to make it more firm. But here we do not have the brands used by most of you and they do not have box cakes in the market, just those low fat, gluten-free mix(very expensive and I need normal, classic mixes).

Does some one have a very good recipe from strach for a firm, that doesn't dry out after 1 hour and moist cake, but not too heavy?
The recipe for a firm I was using was not working very well. Was too dry and I did not like the taste at all!

Do you think is too risk to continous using a sponge cake? Should I definitly change recipe for 2 tier or more tiered cakes even stacking a lot?

If I add vanilla pudding to my sponge cake, does it will a bit more firm?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 2

Your fondant should only be rolled 1/8" or so thick, and therefore should not smash down your cake at all - you should be able to use it on any type of cake you like. For stacking tiered cakes, you need to have a support system inside up hold the upper tiers, cake should NEVER be holding itself up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%