How Do I Make A Fondant Scarf?

Decorating By graciecakes2003 Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 12:47am by graciecakes2003

graciecakes2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciecakes2003 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 4

So I thought I'd get advice on this one now instead of waiting til the last minute. icon_smile.gif

I'm doing a Scottish style groom's cake. I've been given a lot of freedom, except that the groom really wants his family's tartan icing incorporated, as well as the family crest. I'm comfortable with the family crest, but need advice on the tartan.

Since I want this to look as authentic as possible, I've decided to use my new edible printer to recreate the plaid design. I'm thinking that trying to line the plaid up perfectly on all sides of a large 2-tier cake may be stressful, so I'm leaning toward making a plaid scarf and draping it down one side.

So (finally to my question)... I don't want to assemble the cake until I get to the reception site, how do I keep the fondant,printed scarf from drying out. I fear that when I put it on the cake, it might crack???

Thanks in advance!!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 4

If the cake is only two tiers, I'd go ahead and assemble ahead of time so you can do the scarf beforehand.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with Texas Rose. Attach the scarf before delivery.

If you have your heart set on transporting it, wrap it in plastic wrap, then place it in an airtight container or bag. Preferably, not folded.

graciecakes2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciecakes2003 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 12:47am
post #4 of 4

Ok. Thanks! I will do that. It's a 12 inch square on top of a 16 inch square. So I felt it would be stable to go ahead and stack it, but wasn't sure if that was the best idea. I think I'll assemble ahead of time and maybe make a backup scarf just in case I have issues in the commute. I have to take it about 2 hours.

You ladies are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%