Have My First Cake Tasting Scheduled! Any Advice?

Business By dreamsville Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 10:40pm by DentalSlave

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! God is good....I was just posting here about a month ago about how to get into the wedding ring (pun unintended) of the cake business and wouldn't you know it, I've had three brides call me to schedule their weddings with me!!!

So I'm doing a tasting for one bride....so any advice as this will be my first tasting!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 8

What I do is ask the couple to pick 3 flavors from my list that they are really interested in.
I don't know about you but I don't have the freezer space to store 10 different cake sample flavors.
I always bake my sample cakes in square pans. I cut slices about 1"x2" place in small cupcake
papers and put a little butter cream swirl on top. I also make sure to have small glasses of water for each person to "rinse" their palate between flavor changes. HTH

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 8

Limit cake selections to 3 or 4 flavors- any more become overwhelming for them. And be sure to sample all your icing options. I like to use cupcakes for samples, its easy for me and a perfect 1/ 2 person serving. I like to limit it to 4 people max, otherwise you risk having the whole wedding party. Be sure to have water. Brides LOVE pictures, so show them if you have any. Good Luck

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much!! I was also thinking of cupcakes (or mini cupcakes since they would be the perfect bite size) and no more than 4 flavors. I read somewhere that many will charge a fee if more than 3 people arrive at the tasting....that's a good idea! One for me to remember icon_smile.gif

DentalSlave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DentalSlave Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:25am
post #5 of 8

I also use cupcakes for tastings, 3-4 flavors max and I have them pick buttercreams also. I don't charge for the tasting but ask for a deposit that day if they want a wedding cake I have had three tastings and booked all three weddings. I too have water for each person and I save the strongest flavor like chocolate raspberry for last.
Good luck, you'll do great!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 8

Mmm. Chocolate raspberry. Is that chocolate cake with raspberry filling or do you add raspberry extract to the cake batter?

I also have tastings this weekend. 2 on Sunday, actually. I typically bake 4 different 6" cakes and quarter them and piece them back together so this creates 4 sample platters. Then I put all fillings and buttercreams in different containers so they can mix and match.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 8

Some of the best advice I got here when I first started doing weddings: leave the room when they are tasting. They will want to be candid with each other about what they like and don't like, and they may feel self-conscious with you there looking at them. 5 minutes or so should do the trick. Then come back with a big smile and ask if there are any "winners" icon_smile.gif

DentalSlave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DentalSlave Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 8

I do a dark chocolate cake with fresh raspberries, Raspberry buttercream and dark chocolate ganosh, it is very rich. I try my best to stay away from extracts, I use fresh fruits when ever I can.i willpost pics of the cupakes, I call it chocolate covered raspberry it is very popular!

[quote="kger"]Mmm. Chocolate raspberry. Is that chocolate cake with raspberry filling or do you add raspberry extract to the cake batter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%