Keeping Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By punkin34446 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm by cdgleason

punkin34446 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin34446 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first gumpaste topper for my grandmother and she would like to keep it. I know they last forever but I worry since there is so much sugar in them that they might attract bugs. Should I spray a laquer on them? I want to split the topper up and make more than one arrangement.

4 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 5

Unless it gets wet and starts deteriorating I shouldn't attract bugs, I've never heard of dried gumpaste doing so. It will get dusty though so she might want to keep it in some kind of glass case or dome.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:57am
post #3 of 5

I have some gumpaste flowers that are over 3 years old and no bugs or anything. I second what the PP said, they do get dusty and they fade.

punkin34446 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin34446 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info. I am gonna just put stems on them and make the arrangement without doing anything else!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 5

I've made 6 inch dummy cakes for the top tier just for the purpose of letting the guest of honor keep the gumpaste flowers! All you have to do is take the top tier off, set aside, clean it up a bit from the frosting on the bottom, then you can set it in a clear container, or set it in a china cabinet or what ever you prefer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%