How Much Per Cupcake?

Baking By DisneyDreamer Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 4:35pm by DisneyDreamer

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 8

this is a multi part question:

1. Do you measure your batter per cupcake??
If so what amount do you find works best???

I have a tendency to over fill thinking more is better. but its hard to eat the cup cake and to decorate.

2. How much per cup cake do you charge stander size, bc icing and chocolate, vanilla and red velvet.
whats the up charge if any for cricut fondent accents?

I have a order for 60 cupcakes my choice to do whatever i want. its a baby shower / leaving work party.
i was thinking of doing a mix of chocolate, vanilla and red velvet with buttercream and cricut accents. i told them i would get back to them on a idea and a price

7 replies
sweeetCaroliiine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeetCaroliiine Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 8

when i make the standard size cupcakes.. i use a level 1/4 cup of batter. i do not scrape out my measuring cup i just let it drip til its mostly out. this makes a full cupcake but not with that overflowing muffin top, a nice round surface though icon_smile.gif hope this helps

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 8

I use an ice cream scooper that is exactly 1/4 cup measure but not all ice cream scoopers are the same size. I have a smaller one that I use with my cupcake genius pan and a cookie scoop I use for mini cupcakes.

I charge $2.50 a cupcake but that includes fillings and specialty flavors. It only includes basic frosting with sprinkles or pearls. For simple decorations like plunger flowers etc, I charge 25 cents extra per cupcake. For more involved decorations I charge 50 cents more. This may be more intricute buttercream work like a lion face I'm doing this weekend or may include a fondant medalion and monogram.

You need to think about what your market can handle though. I think most of my friends and family think $2.50 a cupcake is a lot but since they're filled and specialty flavors , I think it's a fair price. If they order, unfilled plain chocolate or vanilla, I put 25 cents towards their decorations but I don't advertise that because I want people to try the more interesting flavor options.

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 8

sillywabbitz - Can I ask what brand/size scoops you use? I'm looking for two right now - one for my cupcakes & one for my mini cupcakes/cake pops. I'd appreciate any advice you have. I was looking at getting the OXO cookie scoops (SM & MED)

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8

My cookie scoop is the cheapy plastic cookie scoop from Dollar Tree. It looks just like the wilton one but it's red instead of white. I bought an expensive one at and it broke so I went back to the cheapy one. and it's the perfect size for mini cupcakes and the baby cakes pop maker.

My regular cupcake scoop I bought at the restaurant supply and use the NSF standard. It's a #20 which is color coded yellow as well. It looks exactly like this one so it may be the same brand. FYI I love my cookie scoop. Before I got a kitchen scale, I determined how much to fill my pans by the number of scoopsicon_smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG8Q4E/?tag=cakecentral-20

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer

How much per cup cake do you charge stander size, bc icing and chocolate, vanilla and red velvet.
whats the up charge if any for fondent accents?

In order to calculate a price you'll first need to know your costs, including ingredients, labor, and overhead. Unfortunately it's expensive to legally sell baked goods in California, since you are required to have a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen facility in order to accept compensation for edible goods. If you don't have an inspected kitchen I strongly recommend not accepting any money for this order.

We are also in CA, and we charge a starting price of $30/dozen, this includes the overhead associated with our commercial kitchen. We have a decent volume of orders and can spread overhead costs out accordingly, with a smaller volume we would have to charge more. Fondant accents would be $1/cupcake extra or more depending on complexity.

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

My cookie scoop is the cheapy plastic cookie scoop from Dollar Tree. It looks just like the wilton one but it's red instead of white. I bought an expensive one at and it broke so I went back to the cheapy one. and it's the perfect size for mini cupcakes and the baby cakes pop maker.

My regular cupcake scoop I bought at the restaurant supply and use the NSF standard. It's a #20 which is color coded yellow as well. It looks exactly like this one so it may be the same brand. FYI I love my cookie scoop. Before I got a kitchen scale, I determined how much to fill my pans by the number of scoopsicon_smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG8Q4E/?tag=cakecentral-20

Thank you SO much, this is really helpful! thumbs_up.gif

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer

How much per cup cake do you charge stander size, bc icing and chocolate, vanilla and red velvet.
whats the up charge if any for fondent accents?

In order to calculate a price you'll first need to know your costs, including ingredients, labor, and overhead. Unfortunately it's expensive to legally sell baked goods in California, since you are required to have a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen facility in order to accept compensation for edible goods. If you don't have an inspected kitchen I strongly recommend not accepting any money for this order.

We are also in CA, and we charge a starting price of $30/dozen, this includes the overhead associated with our commercial kitchen. We have a decent volume of orders and can spread overhead costs out accordingly, with a smaller volume we would have to charge more. Fondant accents would be $1/cupcake extra or more depending on complexity.

Yes i know im illegal but I only sell to family and close friends for practice. I quit my culinary job of 3 year in oct. to go on a 2 month trip to Europe (alone) so my family is being nice and trying to keep me busy till i find something. so I just charge ingredients usually but since im not working and still trying to pay off Europe they want to pay me fair price. so for 60 cupcakes with its a boy and cricut cut flowers and delivery 60 miles away I said $100 (although i know they are going to pay me $200)

1/4 cup is the trick thank you so much they turned out great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%