How Long Will A Frosted Cake Last In The Fridge?

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 10:22am by hailinguk

hailinguk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hailinguk Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi There,

I've recently taken on a job baking all the cakes and scones for a place that does afternoon tea. They serve dinner every night and they have asked me if I can offer cakes for the Birthdays and hen parties for those who request one (and I can charge whatever I like and keep the money minus £5!). The only problem is that I only work there on Saturday and Sunday when I'm there doing the afternoon tea. I can't go in during the week as have a 9 month old baby to look after. I could always bake them at home but the restaurant is an hour away on the tube so it's not feasible...

My question is, if I were to bake a layer cake and put the finished cake in the fridge on the Sunday, how long will it last?

I'm going to offer these cakes:

Vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream
Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

And can I freeze a finished layer cake at all?

Thanks so much.

x

4 replies
hailinguk Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 5

Ok, I've done a google search which linked me back to this site and it seems that freezing is the preference.

So... My questions are now:

1. Can I freeze a completed frosted cake? (Covered with the frosting)
2. If so, how long would it take to thaw (6", 7", 8" and 10" sizes)
3. I'll be decorating the vanilla buttercream cake with sprinkles - can I put these on then freeze or do they have to be added once the cake has thawed?
4. I'll be decorating the chocolate and red velvet cake with piped shapes made from melted chocolate. Can I stick these onto the frosting then freeze or should these be added once it's thawed?

Sorry for so many questions.

x

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 5

That sounds like a good deal on your cakes!

In answer to your questions:
1: I have frozen frosted cakes twice. Both times, they developed a bubble about the size of a 50p piece between the cake and frosting during the freezing process, despite me allowing the sponge to settle, then fill and settle more, then crumb coat and final coat. They both went from room temp to freezer (I don't fridge my cakes). The bubble was "burstable" but you could tell it had been there since the frosting cracked. Others have no problems with this but I don't know why I did since the cakes settled properly!

2: A good couple of hours for a 6", even at room temp. The 10" may take 6 hours or so, I'm unsure. And defrost it in the box/wrapping so you don't get any condensation forming on the cake.

3: Whenever I have frozen frosted sprinkled cupcakes, and despite defrosting them wrapped, some of the colours of the sprinkles ran so I suggest they add sprinkles when defrosted.

4: Not sure about the chocolate - it might crack due to temperature changes. Can you freeze some pieces at home and see what happens to them?

Hope that helps!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:22am
post #4 of 5

Freezing cakes is the way to go.
To help prevent the bubble developing just be extra sure to smooth the icing very, very well. Usually, if covering w/ fondant it's that the fondant didn't get attached to the crumb coat (whatever is used - jam, piping gel, b'cream etc) and there is room for air to be trapped. If you take extra time to smooth all over there should not be a problem.
Basically, it's the same if the icing is b'cream; you didn't 'push' the icing 'tight' enough to the cake.
Choco decos should defrost w/o a problem; but to be on the safe side, if it's possible have them added after the cake has thawed.
Yes, it's best to defrost at room temp while it is in the cake box. OR put it in the frig overnight, then out to room temp a couple of hours (minimum) before serving.

hailinguk Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 10:22am
post #5 of 5

Hello,

Thanks for your replies, it's much appreciated.

OK, so freezing is the way to go - the only problem is that they have 2 freezers but both are chest freezers.

So, is there any way I can make the cake, cover it in the final layer of butter cream then place it in a tin with a lid, then put it in the freezer? (So I can then stack the tins on top of each other) Or does the cake have to be wrapped in cling film before placing inside the tin?

I won't be there during the week so I need to make sure it's easy for the staff to remove the cakes from the freezer (with enough time to thaw) and then add the finishing touches.

Thanks xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%