Problem With Icing Sloughing

Decorating By Herekittykitty Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 11:13pm by Herekittykitty

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 9

Ever since I started using straight sided pans I've had probelms with icing sloughing off the sides. I generally use an ABC icing with all butter and just this weekend used a Cream Cheese BC. I have adjusted the consistancy up and down but still have the problem. The only way I can get it to stay on properly is to have a thin layer of BC, which isn't as tasty or pretty when cut as a thicker cover.

What is up with that and how on earth do I fix it?

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 9

does it slough right away, like, as you're decorating? or does it slough after the cakes been sitting out for a while? perhaps the consistency is not thick enough or it is too warm?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 9

It sounds like the icing consistency you are using is much too thin. If you post your recipe we might be able to suggest some help.

Herekittykitty Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 9

It sloughs as I'm scraping/smoothing and then keeps sloughing until it decides it's done. Is that vague enough for you? icon_wink.gif I'll get the sides straight and smooth and by the time I get ready to start decorating it's bagging at the bottom. So I scrape again - and again - and again. Since I use a crusting BC it gets to a point where I can't have a smooth cake b/c the parts that are holding (near the top) get so ragged that no amount of smoothing will work. OR, I've had to take off so much frosting you can see cake.

I know it's not too warm, in a 105 year old house in MN, too warm is never my issue! Except in summer but I know what my problem is there.

Kakeladi I've used this recipe for years:
2 sticks (1/2lb or 1c) butter
2lb PS
4-6 Tbs Milk (to the consistancy wanted)
Flavoring (2tsp or to taste)

My Cream Cheese B/C was the same but sub 1 stick (1/4lb or 1/2c) butter for 8oz CC.

I really, really, really don't want to have to move to a shortning BC - the mouth feel and idea of it is too ishy. And I can't always use a SMBC b/c it's expensive and well, I don't have AC so I'm out of luck 3-4 months out of the year.

Edited for measurements.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 9

Hmm, when making buttercream with powdered sugar, I'm used to doing 1 cup of fat (butter and/or shortening) with 1 lb of PS.

Perhaps you need to increase the butter and reduce the amount of liquid (ie milk)?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 9

Is your Cream Cheese Icing seem softer than usual? If so I'd use less milk than with the other recipe.

Is your cake very moist on the sides? I have had issues where my cakes are very moist on the side and the icing doesn't want to stick.

I'd vote for it's probably too soft. And while your house could not be warm, humidity can affect it as well. I've had to make some adjustments to my icing over the years because of the weather here.

Herekittykitty Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 9

Texas, the consensus seems to be that my icing is too soft, I will try to stiffen it up a bit more and add more butter.

This was the first time I've used the CCBC recipe. Perhaps I mistook stickiness for thick.

I have had problems with it not sticking to the sides of the cake when it gets much thicker though. Humidity, in winter is not an issue for me, there really isn't any in my house.

It's just wierd because I haven't changed my recipe, just the pans.

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 9

I dont know if I'm reading it wrong or if its a typo. (or if your sticks of butter come in different sies than mineicon_smile.gif but Im reading from your recipie that 1 stick of butter is 1/4 cup? it should be 1/2 cup. so are you substituting it with the cc properly? just a thought, hth icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

No, your right. I wrote cups and meant pounds. I always think of the sticks as 1/4 pound (since a box is 1lb). Sorry everyone!

Not enough sleep and too much working at work! icon_redface.gif

So, to adjust my adjustments, if my measurements are correct, I need to make the consistancy thicker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%