Question About Fresh Strawberry Cream Filling

Decorating By flores1234 Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 3:36am by FromScratchSF

flores1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flores1234 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:10am
post #1 of 5

Hello

I have to make a cake for Sunday and I made the filling today around noon time to allow to sit. I just read that using sugar in fresh strawberries can make them bleed, ooze and even get some mold The ingredients i used are fresh strawberries, sugar, gelatin, water and whipped cream, I just checked the cream and it has a jello consistency. I wanted to fill and ice my cake tonight but I'm afraid it will get ruined and worse i don't want it to get mold. I need help this is my first time using this type of filling.

4 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:29am
post #2 of 5

As soon as a strawberry is cut it starts to disintegrate and mold can set in. If you have to use fresh fruit, I would get up early and make the filling early in the morning the day of delivery. I don't know about your state but they won't allow home cake decorators to use fresh fruit in anything we make specifically because of the mush, mold and bacteria factor. Can you use seedless strawberry jam instead.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 5

Both the strawberries and whipping cream would require refrigeration. If you kept it refrigerated it will hold up longer but I don't know how long. In TX, we're required to only use non-perishable fillings as well so I work with things like jams and buttercreams.

flores1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flores1234 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:16am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advise. Does anyone know what the rules are for California. I currently don't sell my cakes I just make them for family birthdays but i would like to in the future. Does anyone recommend a good strawberry filling I usually do use preserves but i wanted to try something different. What about the gelatin would it somehow preserve the filling?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

Disclaimer: I have never done this... but I have read that piping gel can be used as a fruit preservative. I heard it's what large bakeries toss fresh fruit in to put on tarts and on cakes. I think even grocery stores do it also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%