Cricut Machine$$$

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 2:39am by Vista

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 7

i bought one of the Cricut cake machines at what i thought was a good price, But like some dummy i didnt use it right away , now i cant take it back cause the time range is up, I tried to use it the other night and my fondant was stretching and it didnt work very well . also i cannot figure out how to do the font. Any suggestions on how to use this machine??? I tried to read the manual but no luck, What are some of your all methods???
Thanks

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 7

Mine's a big ole expensive paperweight.

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 7

If you search the threads, there are a few with good tips on how to make the best use of the cricut. I don't use it often because it can be a hassle, but once you get it figured out, it can be a real time saver.

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 7

I don't use mine very often either because it's so difficult to master. Here are a few tips that have helped me. Change the blade often! The minute it starts snagging things I switch it out...which is another reason I don't use it often, the blades are too expensive to replace after every other cake. NEVER spend money on the Cricut icing sheets!! EVER!! They are crap! However, the Wilton icing sheets work very well in the Cricut. Also, you can't use fondant ever, it's too stretchy and pliable. Wilton gum paste works pretty good if rolled out thin enough. Here is the most tedious thing I do that gets me good results....hold the tiny spatula thing that came with the Cricut kit right beside the blade as it's cutting because it "holds down" the icing sheet as the machine is cutting. Sometimes the blade has a tendency to tear up the icing sheets as it moves along ruining what you're working on. Lastly, change out the cutting board once you start feeling all the cuts from previous designs. I sometimes use a heavier setting on the pressure which cuts into my plastic cutting board. Then you don't get good adhesion which causes the blade to rip up stuff! UGH just talking about this machine stresses me out!! But I LOVE it when it works for me!!!

Joni1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joni1962 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 7

Hello, I learned alot about my cricut from watching You Tube demos. I have only used fondant and it works great. This is what I've learned. Brush crisco on you mat. Roll fondant out, place on mat, trim, reroll. Here's the key-Place in the freezer anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. Then load in your machine. The font is made by 1st: touch the font key on the left of keypad. Second, look in your manual it shows the letter by the design that would otherwise be made if the font wasn't turned on. So, I hope this helps.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

I just posted about finally finding a use for my Cricut. Try the icing sheets from Icing Images or the Edible Image paper from Luck's. Cuts great, no stretching tearing or rolling out. The images can stay on the backing. It may not be as fabulous as what you were hoping to do with your cricut but since Icing Images has so many color options and patters I think it now has a use. I plan on using it mostly for lettering so far but we'll see.

You can see the cupcakes I did in my pics that used my cricut to cut the letters. Hope that gives you a little hope. Oh and you may search for Linda Mclure's videos on youtube. Apparently her gumpaste recipe works really well in the cutters.

FYI, what exactly is your issue with the font?

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:39am
post #7 of 7

It takes a little practice, but it is not as bad as it sounds. I use fondant (MMF) in my cricut all the time, even for intricate designs.

Grease the mat with crisco.

Roll the fondant very thin. I roll mine out directly on the cutting mat.

Let the fondant dry for 5 to 10 minutes.

Put in the cricut and cut!

Make sure the blade is clean before every cut, the tiniest bit of residue will cause it to hang up on the fondant. I have done many cuts with mine without having to replace the blade. Intricate designs might cut easier with 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.

Good luck!

The monkey cakes in my photos were cut with the cricut. Even the circles with the letters cut out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%