Help With This Cake....

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 4:49am by sleepy20520

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hey fellow cakers.... so i need your advice again! I am making this exact cake for someone and I just have 2 questions:

So my first question, if i do this cake in all buttercream will the flowers be too heavy on the side and fall off?

2nd, hwo is this flower made? ive made lots of flowers in the past but dont make them often enough i guess... is this just standard petals, with soften edges? how is that center made?

and i guess i have a 3rd question, how would this stick to the cake? royal icing? water? or does this depend on wat is on the outside of the cake (ie: fondant or buttercream)? perhaps use wire to stick the flowers center into the cake??? any advice would be amazing!!!!!!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 9

I would definitely make the center on wire, then insert the wire into a straw to put it in the cake. The petals do just look like large petals thinned on the edges...you can use a circle cutter and then use your rolling pin to make the circle into an oval. I've made a big open rose before by layering petals into a bowl (for the curve) with bits of rolled up plastic wrap between the petals.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 9

oh, I love this cake! please post photos of it when you are finished. let us know what worked and what didnt. good luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:18am
post #4 of 9

I agree w/the poster - make the big rose on wire placed in a stir-stick type straw then amke lots and lots of individual petals gradually making them bigger. To attach those, pipe an open circle of b'cream on the petal to attach to the b'creamed cake.

sleepy20520 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:44am
post #5 of 9

so how does the wire stay in the straw? wouldnt it just slide out? sorry ive never used that method but it sounds promising! icon_smile.gif also, yall dont think itll be too heavy if the cake is just buttercream, not fondant?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:46am
post #6 of 9

If you cannot find a coctail/stir straw - which is very, very thin, the hole very small, then fill a regular drink straw and fill it w/b'cream icing. That will hold the wire in place.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you cannot find a coctail/stir straw - which is very, very thin, the hole very small, then fill a regular drink straw and fill it w/b'cream icing. That will hold the wire in place.

if you cant find stir straws at your store go to Starbucks and grab a couple with your coffee order

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 9

The petals will be fine on buttercream and so should the center. I only do buttercream cakes. As long as it's not too heavy, your center will do great. Use a cocktail straw to insert your wire in. Gum paste dries lighter than fondant so I would use that for your center too.

sleepy20520 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:49am
post #9 of 9

so i stick the wire in the straw, then the straw in the cake.....?

also, anyone have any ideas, instructions on how to make the center of the flower?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%