How Many Roses To Make This Cake?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 11:38am by AnnieCahill

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

So my sister-in-law's brother wants me to make their wedding cake and they want the cake below. I will be making it in 3 tiers only to feed about 200 people so my cake sizes with be an 8" round on top, then a 12" round, then a 16" round and they will all be about 4" high.

So I've been looking around for some nice fake flowers and ofcourse I'll need a mixture of open, closed, and inbetween flowers to go around the cake. I think for them to buy sugar flowers is going to cost ALOT. So my question is can anyone please help me figure out how many flowers I will need roughly to do the spiral on this cake? I have no idea.. should I buy a few then try to measure around the cake?

Anyone who has more experience than me with this type of cake and throw out an estimate would be a huge help! I need to figure out how much this is going to cost too!

Thanks SO much in advance!

S.
LL

9 replies
schmulie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schmulie14 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:28am
post #2 of 10

I used over 60 flowers to make the one in my gallery and they just went down one side. It looks like that cake has at least 300 imo!

schmulie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schmulie14 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

I used over 60 flowers to make the one in my gallery and they just went down one side. It looks like that cake has at least 300 imo!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:37am
post #4 of 10

Recently I had to "guess-ti-mate" the number of flowers on a tiered cake and this is the process I used.

Purchase enough flowers to make a section that is approximately 4-6" long. THEN, stack 4" high cake dummies (or empty pans) in the same configuration you will be using for your stacked cake. THEN, see how many of the 4-6" sections you will need.

I agree with the post above that it is probably in the 300-400 range.

If you have access to a wholesale buying license, leah_s recommends a wholesale supplier that provides excellent service and lovely gumpaste, pre-made flowers. That may be the best way to go.

http://www.avalondeco.com./
---------------
As far as how much the cost will be for the cake and icing, that's a total guess. There are too many variables like the recipes you'll be using, your supply costs, etc. A guess? About $150+, but it could go much higher.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:58am
post #5 of 10

I don't think that avalon deco requires that you hold a resale license. I think that anyone can order. Anyway, call David. He has more flowers than are listed on the website. And say "hey!" from Leah in Louisville.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I don't think that avalon deco requires that you hold a resale license. I think that anyone can order. Anyway, call David. He has more flowers than are listed on the website. And say "hey!" from Leah in Louisville.

Thanks, Leah!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 10

When I'm doing a cake with lots of detail, I cut out a wax paper or parchment strip that is the width and length of what I need to cover on the cake. Then I either use old flowers that I have on hand or the first new ones that I've made to fill a small area, or patch, on the strip. I can use this small patch to figure out how many patches I need to cover the whole strip and, therefore, how many of each kind of flower I will need to cover the entire strip. I usually figure about 10% more than what I calculate to allow for breakage, choice of particular type of flower, filling gaps, etc. I learned this from someone else on CC and it works great for me. I used to usually do way more flowers than I needed, just to be sure. Now I don't have to.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 10

I think if every single member on Cake Central made you two flowers, you might have enough. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10

Off topic - but those cake dimension are going to be 16" wide and only 12" tall - kind of short and squat IMO and you wont be able to get a good spiral of flowers. For 200 guests, you could easily do a more narrow 4 or even 5 tier cake that will look more proportional and more like the photo. HTH

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 11:38am
post #10 of 10

I agree with Kory. It needs more height, or it needs to be less wide at the base...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%