Help Please!

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm by klamb17

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 9

I tried to make a WASC cake with a box of betty crocker milk chocolate and ewhhhh it did not taste like chocolate at all!!! Is it because I used milk chocolate? Do I need to get another chocolate flavor? The texture was wonderful but the flavor was the pits!!

Please help have to make a cake and have it done by tomorrow icon_cry.gif and I don't want to keep experimenting with flavors

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 9

It's probably because of the extra ingredients being too much for the amount of chocolate in the mix.

I always use Duncan Hines, I don't think Betty Crocker mixes have the same amount they did when the wasc recipe was made. I also use a devils food or dark chocolate mix and then add a little instant coffee powder to the water before I mix it in, to boost the chocolate flavor.

klamb17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 9

thank you so much, I have to head to the store now icon_mad.gif again, because I forgot butter the first time I went, so I went back...now I have to go back ahhh lol!!!

klamb17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 9

could I add some cocoa powder? I have plenty of that

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

It could be a number of things. First of all, the Betty Crocker cake mix no longer has as much mix so it might have thrown off the flavor. This is the recipe I have used in the past & everyone loved it. 1 Dark Choc Mix (I don't use BC)
1 c cake flour, 1 c of sugar, 3 TBS cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 pkg choc fudge pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 c sour cream, 1 c coffee, 1 c chocolate milk, 3 TBS oil and you can also add 1 tsp of chocolate extract (I didn't use it)

klamb17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 9

Yes it threw it the taste wayyyy off, it tasted like moist cardboard lol. Thanks for the recipe, Im gonna stick to my other recipe for this cake and try your recipe on one for us. You live and you learn, and you waste money in the process. icon_sad.gif

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb17

could I add some cocoa powder? I have plenty of that

I replace some of the flour with cocoa powder. I usually replace about 1/4 of a cup per batch. I am sure you could add more, but that usually works for me. Plus strong coffee as the liquid, makes a big difference.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 9

I made that milk chocolate mix once, and did not care for it. Normally I love milk chocolate, but not this time. I think for cakes the fudge and dark chocolate flavors are just better.

klamb17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 9

thanks for all of your help! I would tell everyone not to buy that milk chocolate...maybe Im just a hard core chocolate fan and need more flavor! lol Well back from the store time to bake again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%