Should I Freeze My Cake Or Leave It Out??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm by MimiFix

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 4

I had a cupcake order yesterday and had a lot of left over batter, so instead of wasting it I went ahead and baked up some cakes knowing I have my daughter's birthday cake to make tomorrow. I forgot to put them in the freezer last night. They are still in the pans and sealed in tupperware. . .should I just leave them there until tomorow when I decorate, or should I go ahead and put them in the freezer for today and thaw out tomorrow. The cake will not actually be eaten until Sunday. What's the best way to keep these cakes fresh?? I checked them this morning and they are still fluffy and moist. . just not sure what to do wtih them over the next 24 hours. . once covered with fondant tomorrow I am not too concerned about them.

Or do you think I should just start over tomorrow and bake a new cake?

Thanks!!

3 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 4

You can wrap them in plastic wrap a few times and leave them on the counter. Or even wrap and put in fridge. Cakes do not have to be frozen, although I know many people like to do so especially when baking ahead for convenience sake. Wrap them well and you'll be good.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:34am
post #3 of 4

The only thing different I would do is get them out of the pan. The longer they are in the pan, the harder it will be to get them out w/o breakage. Then return them to the tubberwear or wrap them in plastic wrap or a plastic bag. It would not hurt to fz them but it is not necessary either.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with kakeladi. I've had much trouble with de-panning cakes if they weren't removed on the day they were baked. If you run a knife around the perimeter and turn it upside down, but it still won't release, try warming the pan bottom. Use the top burner on your stove. But be very careful. (No blowtorch, please, I once saw a pastry kitchen catch on fire.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%