Cake Is All Baked! And An Icing Question...

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 6:58am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:45am
post #1 of 5

Finally got all of the cake baked successfully. Even the yellow cake which I wound up hybridizing between SW's and the King Arthur yellow cake. Finallyfinallyfinally. The only thing I can come up with for why the cakes were falling is the oven temp. Ok, and the recipes. I baked all of these cakes at a lower temp. Plus I just think the electric oven worked better.

I'm a little behind on how I wanted to have things done, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I have to do just a couple of layers of the practice cake so I know what I'm dealing with plus try the sps.

But something I need to know more about ---- I'm pretty sure I will be doing a mound of peony-roses on the top. How exactly do you do this? It seems like a lot of icing if you just make a hill to place them on - is that what's typically done? (This will be on a 7" cake) Also, I can see squishing some soft icing on to set them in, but there's no way that they will all fit just so - there will be gaps, so how do you deal with that? The underneath icing should be the flower color, right? I don't think I necessarily want leaves, so what do I fill the holes in with?

4 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:20am
post #2 of 5

Well, I'm definitely not really experienced in this area, but maybe just fill the gaps in with extra petals? Or some other smaller type of flower?

Good luck!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:50am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgirl

It seems like a lot of icing if you just make a hill to place them on - is that what's typically done?

Yes, that's what I'd do for BC flowers. It is a lot of icing, but all of it doesn't have to be eaten. If you used something other than icing that wasn't edible, it would need to be removed before the bride and groom freeze it (which would leave a giant hole) or removed before slicing (which is extra work considering the roses are being made in BC so they can be eaten).

Quote:

there will be gaps, so how do you deal with that?

I would use leaves.

Quote:

The underneath icing should be the flower color, right?

That's a great ideaI always use white and fill in with leaves. What color are your roses? (If they are whiteI'd definitely pipe white leaves.) Are you trying to avoid leaves because you think the color will stand out too much? (I think roses look unfinished without a little greenery!)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:56am
post #4 of 5

I did a cake a couple of years ago where I wanted a rounded top and cascading flowers. Here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1749485/yellow-cake-with-white-flowers?sub=1749549

I just left the dome on the top of the cake instead of cutting it off. If your cake didn't dome but you have cake cuttings, smoosh them into a dome shape and cover with a normal amount of buttercream. You can also use 'cake spackle' which is cake crumbs mixed with icing to make your rounded top. Again, coat with a normal amount of BC.

If you want the rounded top made of cake, bake some batter in a stainless steel bowl...or a ball pan if you have one. Not a whole cake's worth...just enough to make a rounded top to put on your top tier.

I did not use the color of the flowers for the top and I wish I had because the yellow does show through some and I think they would have looked more filled in had it been white. You can always squeeze in smaller freshly made fondant flowers to fill in as well. They'll be more pliant.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:58am
post #5 of 5

Lots of good ideas. I think a lot will depend on how it goes with trying to get the flowers stuck on the small ledges of my practice cake (for the sake of time, I'm only doing the 11 & 9 layers). If I can get enough on the sides, then I can make the top more asymmetrical so it won't matter as much how mounded.... but if the sides don't look right then I'm thinking that a symmetrical bunch might look better. I hope asymmetrical works... it's easier - and Iike that look.
Oh, I have to remember to get the ribbon on too....

Carmijok, your cake looks so perfect! And happy too. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the pic - visual always helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%