Airbrushing Metallics?

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 12:53am by Coral3

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:01am
post #1 of 5

Just wondering a couple things about airbrushing metallics. I have some amerimist gold, silver & bronze airbrush colours but so far the airbrush stop-starts a lot when I try to spray them. I assume they need a larger size airbrush to allow the bigger particles through? Would that be correct?

The thing is though that I'm not sure what size airbrush I actually have now. It's just the one that came with my Kopycake airmaster. I have looked through the info and can't see where the airbrush size is mentioned...so without knowing what size I have, I don't know what the next size up would be. The airbrush has 'Kopykake 04911' etched into the side of it if that means anything?

So if anybody can tell me what size comes as standard with the Airmaster and/or what size airbrush I need for metallics I'd be eternally grateful!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

You don't need another airbrush..Just add a bit of water to the metallic sheen and shake it up..It is probably a little thick.I have the airmaster and sometimes the sheens will do that to me also...Just thin down a bit.

Coral3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

You don't need another airbrush..Just add a bit of water to the metallic sheen and shake it up..It is probably a little thick.I have the airmaster and sometimes the sheens will do that to me also...Just thin down a bit.

Okay, thanks for that - will try thinning it down. I may try thinning with alcohol though...I would worry that adding water may increase the drying time a lot, or do you find it doesn't make much difference?

Thanks again Kiddiekakes! (I'm relieved I don't have to go buying any more parts!) icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5

You can also try alcohol..I don't see that it would make a difference..Either way...don't buy another airbrush...

Coral3 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

...another thought has just occurred to me. I did shake the bottle really well before using, so it may have had a lot of air bubbles in it too which could also have affected the flow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%