Cost Of 6" Cake

Business By acmomcee Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm by Marianna46

acmomcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acmomcee Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 2

Hello all!

Question to all UK cakers here please... How much roughly do you spend in your 6" chocolate cake, filled with buttercream, ganached and covered and decorated in fondant? I don't know if it's really possible that I computed mine and it shows that I'll spend £16 in a single 6" cake having all ingredients divided into their number of uses. Does it mean I won't be earning a reasonable amount if I'll only be charging £35 considering the electricity used, time, effort? Or is the price just right? I wonder how others can price their cakes cheaper. What do you guys think? TIA!

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 2

Not a UK caker, but this is a universal problem. The fact is, not everybody uses the best ingredients and some people are willing to sell their products at rock-bottom prices just to get business (a recipe for early burn-out, if I ever saw one). But if you've gone to the trouble of considering all the expenses that enter into making a cake (including the salary you pay yourself AND a reasonable profit for the business) and you come up with the price you have, I'd say that's the right price. I'm sorry, but high-quality, made-to-order cakes are not inexpensive. Fortunately, there are people who realize what goes into it and you will eventually build up a clientele (if you don't have one already).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%