Buttercream Or Royal Icing For Flowers?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 11:17pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 3

I would rather have the more edible buttercream rose-peonies on this cake, but since they will be kind of balancing on a 1" ledge, would it be better to use royal icing so they don't sag? Maybe I need to make my bc stiffer yet....

Could I just have someone move in with me this week so I can have someone hold my hand and mentor me through all of this?! icon_redface.gif

2 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 3

Buttercream roses will be fine once they're air dried. They won't sag off of a 1" ledgeyou don't need any ledge at all, when driedthey can be stuck to the sides of the cake. If you're making a cascade, just start building it from the bottom up so the lower roses help to support the upper ones. The only way your roses will sag is if they aren't stiff enough when you make them.

I'd move in with you, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of help right here. Don't feel like you're in over your headeveryone has to start somewhere, and this small wedding cake should be a great opportunity to start with or at least a learning experience.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 3

I'm loving how the peonies are looking at least. I am having a bit of an issue with the bc... I used the crusting bc (viva) from here - I love the icing, and it tastes great. But the flowers seem to be getting "wet" now.... our house is at 72 deg and is very dry. Hmmm. I hate to now have to keep trying other icings - if you have any suggestions, please tell me!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%