Fondant - Do You Make Your Own?

Decorating By Starter13 Updated 22 Jan 2012 , 8:51pm by LNW

Starter13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starter13 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:54am
post #1 of 16

Hello!

I am new to the baking and cake decorating world. I have practiced a lot but for some reason, no matter what fondant recipe I try - it always dries and cracks! I decided to buy some Satin Ice fondant and start decorating my cakes with that. I was wondering with members of this site, is that a common practice? I see all the beautiful cakes here and wonder if I am the only one copping out and not making my own ;/

Let me know icon_smile.gif

15 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:58am
post #2 of 16

Do you know that your poll isn't exactly a yes or no question. Would yes mean I make my own or I purchase? icon_smile.gif

I have done both. I purchase bright colors and make mmf when I need a lot of a pale color. I also prefer wilton for figures.

Starter13 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:02am
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much for your quick response!

And Woops yes...Fixed the mistake. Thank you!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:05am
post #4 of 16

If your fondant is drying and cracking you probably added too much powdered sugar to it. You can add some shortening to it to moisten it back up also.

Starter13 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:10am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashley

If your fondant is drying and cracking you probably added too much powdered sugar to it. You can add some shortening to it to moisten it back up also.

I have a problem with fondant because either it is too sticky or too dry. I never can seem to make it work. I have never tried the Marshmallow fondant recipe though. Do you recommend it? Is it easier to make and work with than regular rolled fondant?

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:23am
post #6 of 16

I love MMF. I always make my own. I cannot justify paying the higher prices for ready made fondant and the smell of some of it is not even pleasing much like the taste.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:24am
post #7 of 16

I use Michele Foster's Fondant, and it turns out awesome every time. Here's the link to her recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/michele-fosters-fondant

I've even made this dairy free and it still works quite well. However, I do prefer using the regular ingredients. I find I get more elephant skin when it's dairy free.

I love making it and everyone loves eating it. =)

But no worries about buying it. Totally not a cop out. Each person has to do what works best for them. Some can make their own, but prefer not to due to time, energy, etc. And like others have said, a lot make their own but buy the red and black colors. =)

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:36am
post #8 of 16

I'm am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have made MMF twice now and have had good luck with it. I find it easy to make, easy to work with, it's definitely cheaper, and people actually like the taste. The Wilton stuff gets peeled off and trashed. Most people say "Don't put any nasty fondant on my cake. But I flavor my MMF with butter flavor, vanilla and almond. It's actually yummy, and smells good. I covered a really big cake with it today and it came out great, in spite of my lack of experience. Like some other posters, I buy deep colors like black. I've bought Satin Ice for that.

andreakeers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreakeers Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 16

do you have the recipe for the marsh mallow fondant would like to try it, thanks

smm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smm99 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreakeers

do you have the recipe for the marsh mallow fondant would like to try it, thanks

There are several recipes for marshmallow fondant (MMF) in the recipes section - just head over there and take a peek.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I use Michele Foster's Fondant, and it turns out awesome every time.

Hi KateLS, I also make MIchele Foster's fondant, but honestly I have a hard time working with it. I love it that you get on air bubbles but I always have to knead for a long time before I can roll it. Does it always come out like that?? when I finish making it is awesome, but then you have to let it rest overnight and the next day is really hard and I knead for, at least, 1/2 an hour....is that how yours come out?

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 16

I've done both. I love to use already made fondant because it's easy...after spending hours making the cake,icing,decorations, etc...the thought of spending even more time making fondant when it can be purchased drives me crazy. That being said, It is much cheaper to make MMF and it does taste very good. I have mixed Wilton and Satin Ice to cover cakes... Satin Ice makes the Wilton taste better and Wilton gives the Satin Ice more body ( I personally find satin Ice too soft). I always use Wilton for making decorations.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:23am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I use Michele Foster's Fondant, and it turns out awesome every time.

Hi KateLS, I also make MIchele Foster's fondant, but honestly I have a hard time working with it. I love it that you get on air bubbles but I always have to knead for a long time before I can roll it. Does it always come out like that?? when I finish making it is awesome, but then you have to let it rest overnight and the next day is really hard and I knead for, at least, 1/2 an hour....is that how yours come out?

Sorry I took so long to respond. I haven't been on today.

When I make it, it does harden for the next day, (as most fondant does) but I usually only have to knead it for a couple of minutes. My only guess would be that it could be the weather.... Although I live in Utah and a mile above sea level, so I don't see how it could be worse.

When you knead it, do you try to knead the whole thing all together? When I knead it, I break it into 3-4 sections and knead them one at a time, and then combine them. It goes pretty fast that way.

Not sure if this helps at all...

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:20am
post #14 of 16

andreakeers, I use Mac's mom's butter cream flavored fondant. It's in the most saved recipes section on this site. I usually make it on a day when I don't have a cake to bake or decorate, so I'm not already tired, then I wrap it well and I have it when I need it. As to the problem of having to knead it for a long time, I always microwave it for about 30 - 40 seconds and it drastically speeds up the softening process and saves your wrists! Whoever said Satin Ice is soft - I agree. I've cut shapes from it (zebra stripes or circles, etc.) and when I pick them up they stretch out of shape or tear.

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 16

I also make Michelle Foster's fondant, adding CoffeeMate hazelnut coffee creamer for the liquid. (Coffee Mate is pure white.) In addition, I add white chocolate candy clay to the finished fondant on day 2 as mentioned in Jennifer Dontz's video. It is sooooo manageable and delicious!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 16

I make my own MMF. I use the recipe that is in one of the tutorials on here, I'm not sure which one it is. It always comes out just perfect. I normally mix up a couple of batches when I'm making a cake that will require it and then put the extra in the freezer. It keeps for months (I've heard some say a year or longer but mine never sticks around that long). When I have extra of a color, even if it's just a tiny bit (you never know when you'll need just a smidge of a color) I make sure to knead it really well, wrap it up in plastic wrap and put it in a ziplock bag and put it on my fondant shelf in the freezer. When I need it I take it out of the freezer the night before and if it's still kind of hard the next day I pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and that softens it up enough to work with.

You can only do that for so long though. I HATE making black or red fondant so when I do make it I am sure to save every tiny scrap of it for future use. After a while of freezing, un-freezing, microwaving, re-freezing etc it becomes crumbly. When it starts to do that I know it's time to throw it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%