Received My Georgetown Cupcakes Today...

Baking By Osgirl Updated 9 Feb 2012 , 12:40pm by BuffytheBakingSlayer

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 2:43am
post #1 of 14

So far, we've tested 5 out of the 12 and my stomach hurts! icon_wink.gif My husband and I think they're pretty good. They are super simple (decorations) and anyone could do that (there are way more decorated cupcakes on here). I would call them "cute".

Taste-My husband said the strawberry frosting tasted artificial. He prefers the recipe I use (I use the recipe from Sprinkles). The salted caramel was a good combo of sweet and salty (pretty salty IMO). The vanilla cupcake was very good and moist, but the frosting (buttercream) wasn't anything special. The lemon blossom had a nice lemony taste.

I certainly would not pay full price+shipping to have their cupcakes again. I wouldn't pay the promo price again either. If I was visiting the area where GC is located, I would probably stop in and buy their cupcakes.

Overall, I thought they were pretty good! Oh, and the way they pack their cupcakes? They must spend a fortune on boxes and shipping packing!

13 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:04am
post #2 of 14

Thanks for the update.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:16am
post #3 of 14

I've been waiting for you to give feedback! Would it be possible to take a photo of the packaging and post? As a hobby baker, I find packaging absolutely fascinating (AND expensive as heck!).

I just returned from vacation and one of the homes where I stayed had a box of Sherri's Berries in the fridge. I asked if I could check out the packaging even though I didn't want one of the berries. They thought it was kinda funny. The plastic inserts for the dozen extra large chocolate covered strawberries was purpose made and there was also a wrapped piece of foam that they place on top of the berries. Even then, a couple of the berries had cracked chocolate.

I found the Sprinkles strawberry frosting recipe online but hadn't tried it yet. Is it REALLY good?

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:29am
post #4 of 14

Yes, I took a few pictures of the outer box, the inside packaging, the inside box, and the cupcake tray. I will post them tomorrow! The wrapping is like a bubble wrap but it has a tin foil look and it was cold. It must be kept in the frig or freezer maybe? There was also an ice pack in there. It was pretty extensive.

I LOVE the Sprinkles strawberry cupcake and frosting recipe. The frosting is so good I could eat it out of a bowl with a spoon! icon_smile.gif That's my opinion anyways...my husband's too.

Their vanilla peppermint cupcake is really good to (from Sprinkles):
http://www.oprah.com/food/Vanilla-Peppermint-Cupcakes

If you compare the two recipes you can see what their base cupcake recipe is. I use their strawberry cupcake recipe and swap out the strawberries for whatever for a lot of my recipes.

I'm a hobby baker too who dreams of making a business out of it! icon_wink.gif

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:47am
post #5 of 14

Yea their outer box is pink with their logos on it, then the inner pink box with their company name in black. Then inside that there was that silver bubble wrap bag which I thought was very unique I had never seen that before, but mine was cold as well- so it must work! And then the cold pack inside. Then the plastic insert with the cupcakes- which is almost like the normal plasitc cupcake containers- then they put lollipop sticks in the middle of the cupcake to keep them from getting tossed around. Now I know why they charge SO much for shipping- that seemed a little excessive to me, but I guess if it works and peopel are willing to pay the price (which I would not if it weren't for the promo prices)

The packaging worked- my cupcakes arrived all intact and still cold- though thankfully not still frozen.

So after they thawed I took a bit of each- and there was a trend. All of the cakes (taking bites without any icing) were a little bland. The red velvet was the worst- very tasteless. The red velvet cream cheese icing was good- so when you took a bite of the cupcake with the icing it tasted ok. Nothing great- but not too bad. The chocolate and vanilla cake part was the same- a little tasteless- and the chocolate had a weird aftertaste. Not quite like a cake mix aftertaste (which I'm pretty sure they bake from all scratch) but an odd aftertaste nonetheless.

The icings were what saved the cupcakes for me. A few were a little gritty but still ok, the only icing pitfalls I found were the chocolate icings. They were very rich and THICK and with the icing being that thick they should have gone a little easier with it- it was way too overwhelming to have more icing than cupcake with such a thick chocolate. Even though they have a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing, and a chocolate cupcake with chocolate ganache icing offered seperately- they are the same thing. I was expecting one to have a chocolate icing similar in texture to the vanilla, but that was very much not the case.

SO my summary is- the cupcakes are ok. Nothing out of this world. I love their custom boxes, and that about sums it up haha. I would love to hear other people's opinions on what they thought about the flavors as well! (I did not order the lemon or the strawberry so I couldn't comment on those).

Apti Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:03am
post #6 of 14

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the pics tomorrow.

A while back I did a 6 month search for "red velvet". I'm in Southern California, so I was able to purchase practice cupcakes from 4 different famous bakers: Sprinkles, Christopher Garren, and two other very high-end (famous) shops that I'll refrain from mentioning by name. My best friend and family members helped with the "tastings".

Best of the best:
Sprinkles Salty Caramel~~DEE-LEE-CIOUS! I was so entranced I worked and worked and worked and finally came up with my version which is pretty darn good.

2nd place--Christopher Garren's Red Velvet Bombe (like a fat cake pop, covered in chocolate).

All the other cupcakes/flavors: If you just tasted the cupcake WITHOUT the frosting, no big deal. The red velvet without frosting--with your eyes closed nobody would ever know you just put something called red velvet in your mouth.

Each of the cupcakes ranged from $3-$4.50 per cupcakes (standard or jumbo sized). Basically, I don't think that is an outrageous price point when you consider each shop was offering about 10+ different flavors made fresh every 2 days (or daily). With the exception on the two above, everybody in my taste-test group said they preferred my cupcakes/frosting.

I was disappointed that nobody offered filled cupcakes to try; that would have been a lot of fun.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 14

Hi, I received my delivery of Georgetown Cupcakes on Thursday. So far I have tried the chocolate salted carmel, red velvet and vanilla. I really liked the chocolate salted carmel. The red velvet and vanilla were ok - nothing special. I will keep you posted on the other flavors.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 7:04pm
post #8 of 14

I received my Georgetown cupcakes just 30 minutes ago. I've only tried a coconut one so far, and I have to say that I thought it was delicious! It was very moist, the frosting was great, and it was covered with coconut, with no decoration. Judging by this forum, it appears that we amateur bakers secretly want the "big guys" to fail, or at least to think that our cupcakes are as good, or even better, than theirs. I've tried LOTS of commercially made cupcakes, and yes, I've tasted some bad ones (Magnolia Bakery for one - ugh), but I think Georgetown might be one of the good ones. Can't wait to taste the rest, even though my waistline may not fare so well! .

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforcupcakes

I received my Georgetown cupcakes just 30 minutes ago. I've only tried a coconut one so far, and I have to say that I thought it was delicious! It was very moist, the frosting was great, and it was covered with coconut, with no decoration. Judging by this forum, it appears that we amateur bakers secretly want the "big guys" to fail, or at least to think that our cupcakes are as good, or even better, than theirs. I've tried LOTS of commercially made cupcakes, and yes, I've tasted some bad ones (Magnolia Bakery for one - ugh), but I think Georgetown might be one of the good ones. Can't wait to taste the rest, even though my waistline may not fare so well! .

I've tried many, many cupcake places in my area and when I travel around the country. I live near Georgetown Cupcakes and have tried 8 of their flavors - I thought one was good, the others I was not impressed with. I don't secretly (or not-so-secretly) want anyone to fail. In fact, I'm rather disappointed when I buy a cupcake from a bakery and I don't think it's good. I think perhaps the issue might be that many of us who bake a lot and bake from scratch have more "refined" or "discerning" tastes that the average customer - not that we want it to be bad.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:03am
post #10 of 14

Bonniebakes, perhaps "fail" was too strong a word. Maybe it's true that as bakers, we expect more! By the way, the chocolate/peanut butter cupcake was also great, and my husband declared the mocha, which I wouldn't even try because I hate coffee, was fantastic!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 14

It's good to hear that many of their cupcakes are delicious since they are so popular, a good cupcake is hard to buy and to bake a lot of times, icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforcupcakes

Bonniebakes, perhaps "fail" was too strong a word. Maybe it's true that as bakers, we expect more!

I agree. Since I am a hobby baker, the only place where I can get true validation of the quality of MY baking is to compare to famous bakers. (Family and friends are always going to be supportive and tell you that your stuff is the best.)

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 14

Apti, my family loves my cooking but, they are totally honest with new recipes, which is great feedback, but sometimes it irritates me, (which is exactly what I need/request) lol.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 14

If I was visiting the area where GC is located, I would probably stop in and buy their cupcakes.

If you are visiting the DC area, there are better places to get better cupcakes. baked and wired, for instance. I think GC are ok, but not spectacular. I definitely do not understand the craziness and lines out the door for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%