Help! Baking Time Needed Urgently!!!

Baking By stbookie Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 2:03am by auzzi

stbookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stbookie Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I've got a potential disaster in the making - I'm making my own wedding cake. The bottom tier is in the oven right now. The problem is, I've got no idea how long to bake it for! I had some tips of scaling up the recipe - it's a 14inch square tin and a traditional fruit cake - but no one seems to know how long I should increase the baking time for.
Please help, I don't know what to do!

4 replies
bernerluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bernerluv Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 5

Try this link....I refer to it often!! Look under Baking Time & Batter Amounts....hope this helps!!

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

stbookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stbookie Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 5

That'll be great for the next tier which will be a sponge, but the timings are definitely not right for a fruit cake!
Thanks so much for answering icon_smile.gif

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5

Hi;

Ok, I've pulled out my "The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating" Whitecap.ca Book and this is what it says;

Rich Fruit Cake 12" Round 5-5 1/4 hours @ 275 F

12" Square 5 1/4- 5 1/2 hours @ 275 F

Light Fruit Cake 12" round 5-5 1/4 hours @ 275 F

12" Square 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 hours @ 275 F

I hope this helps. I personally really dislike Fruit Cake and have not made one. But I thought I'd share.

There are no cooking times for a 14" but the recipe goes from 6" - 12" and the differences in baking times are approx 15-20 increase for each larger size pan.

So if you're pan/cake is 14" I would add 20 minutes at least to the baking time.

Good Luck. Hope that helped.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

Does it fit in your oven with circulation space ?

The larger the cake the lower the temperature: and the longer it takes to bake. Any hotter and it will burn before it bakes.

14" fruitcake 4 inch high - 140°C/275°F/mark 1 [120ºCFF] estimated 8 to 8.5 hours baking time

You will have to adjust the time depending on the height of the cake.

Make sure it is insulated inside and out, and sit it on a wad of paper on the rack in the oven.

Watch it carefully from 6 1/2 hours on. If it browns too quickly, cover with brown paper.

When it is no longer hissing ["singing"] it is done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%