Making Animal Prints With Fondant

Decorating By Brittany1288 Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 5:48pm by carmijok

Brittany1288 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany1288 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 4

I have a big big big big question. Can anybody help me figure out how to make zebra print, cheetah print, and giraffe print out of fondant. I need to know for my little sisters sweet 16 cake. She wants her cake to be 3 tiers. The bottom she wants zebra, the middle she wants cheetah, and the top she wants giraffe. If anybody could help me out it would be a great help.

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

Even if you are able to smooth the stripe into the fondant to make it seamless, you'll still have to cover your cake with it, and I would think that would stretch your design or make smoothing it on difficult. I don't know...never tried it.

I don't cover cakes with fondant, I use buttercream and then cut the fondant for decor like zebra stripes. I did, however paint leopard spots on buttercream once and if you want a flat surface you can paint your design directly on your fondant covered cake using gel food coloring thinned (if necessary) with a bit of lemon extract or vodka.

HTH!

Brittany1288 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brittany1288 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much that actually helped me out a lot. I think i will try that. I'm not very experienced in cake decorating yet. I'm still in high school and this is only my second cake and she made it difficult. But, thank you I really appreciate it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 4

Practice painting your designs first before putting them directly on your cake! Just roll out some fondant and paint on that.
Remember that fondant is sugar and will melt if there's too much moisture...which is why I actually like using lemon extract as opposed to vodka...it evaporates faster. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%