How To Get Fondant Looking "clean"?

Decorating By Crikkitt Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 6:58pm by bellacakecreations

Crikkitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crikkitt Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 9

I use powdered sugar/corn starch to keep my fondant from sticking to my work surface. Using shortening makes the fondant greasy and more difficult for me to work with. I can never seem to get all of the powdered sugar off the fondant, so I'm not getting a nice clean look. I hate the way it looks. When I use a damp cloth to clean off the powder, it seems to leave streaks or makes the part that I've wiped off look shiny. I want to know how to get a clean looking fondant. How do you get the powdered sugar off of your fondant or what method do you use to keep fondant from sticking to your work surface?
(I use The Mat for covering whole cakes, but not for accent pieces)
Thanks for your help!

8 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 9

You need to use vodka. I brush vodka over the cake to remove any remaining icing sugar, the vodka evaporates so you have no problems with residue.

AmyCozze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCozze Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 9

I brush it with shortening or even veg./olive oil sometimes. I will usually add a little luster dust to it, it really gives the cake a nice finish.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 9

Use the least amount of PS or cornstarch possible to roll out your fondant. Turn it a quarter turn after every few rolls, making sure that it has not stuck to the counter or mat.
I use a large paint brush to clean my covered cakes off if there is any remaining PS.
If you wipe the PS off with a damp cloth and it leaves a shiny spot, put a small amount of PS on your hand and rub the spot on the cake in a circular motion with the palm or a finger. It will take the sheen away.

Crikkitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crikkitt Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you, everyone. I knew I could count on you. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

The best way to get cornstarch off is to take a little ball of fondant (the same color as the piece you're trying to clean) and roll it over the cornstarch. You may have to repeat with a couple of balls of fondant if you've used a ton of cornstarch.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 9

i'll clean mine in stages. first stage is lightly brushing it with a large, soft pastry brush. i'll use my airbrush to blow air on to the cake to help lift away the powder. then i get out my bottle of Everclear and smaller paintbrush and apply the alcohol to any areas that i really want clean. if want the whole cake cleaned, i have my hand-held garment steamer to gently steam it.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 9

First, I try to not get powdered sugar on the area that will show. If it does get on it, I take a small paintbrush that I use exclusively for caking, and brush it all off. 99% of the time, it gets it off. If I have to, I use very little shortening and then use a dry paper towel to wipe the area afterward.

I prefer most of my cakes to not have a shiny look, so I try to avoid putting anything on it if I can.

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 9

I have a small clothing steamer that I use only distilled water in and lightly steam the fondant. The powdered sugar melts away and you have a nice shine without getting the fondant too wet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%