Professional Sized Cupcakes... Is There Such Thing?!

Baking By monosylabicgirl Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 7:14pm by imagenthatnj

monosylabicgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monosylabicgirl Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! first of, I want to say that I'm new to cakecentral and after reading some forums, I'm really glad and already, im addicted!

im seriously thinking about opening my own cupcake shop in my hometown. I want to perfect my recipes and I really need to know if there's such thing as a professional sized cupcake pan. All the cupcake shops I've visited sell jumbo muffin cupcakes or something smaller but larger than the standard size.

Can someone please help me figure this out once and for all?!!

10 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:16am
post #2 of 11

Hi

I have never heard of a "professional size cupcake/cupcake pan.

Maybw some of our fellow CCrs can assist

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:32am
post #3 of 11

Do what you want and price according to market.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 11

The word professional is often misused by marketers to sell their products. For cupcakes and muffins, look at the numerous sizes available and do your market research to see what sized cupcakes customers in your region prefer.

My professional opinion: Stay away from the larger sized cupcakes.

scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 11

If you are not going for a low price point, the tulip cups are a great alternative to the delimma. That is what I use. They can be filled higher than standards, but not so big as to be more than a serving. They are expensive for quality greaseproof.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If you are not going for a low price point, the tulip cups are a great alternative to the dilemma. That is what I use. They can be filled higher than standards, but not so big as to be more than a serving. They are expensive for quality greaseproof.

That's a great idea. I've seen bakeries use the tulip cup which, as a side benefit, keeps the icing from getting messy. The cupcakes can be slid into bags that have a wide-enough gusset to accommodate several sitting on the bottom. For sales of up to maybe four or six, this negates more expensive containers or boxes. But especially if your sale is only one or two at a time, the additional cost of the tulip cup can be offset by using a bag. For additional benefit, a paper bag uses fewer natural resources which is a trendy social issue.

cakespender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakespender Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:48am
post #7 of 11

I have to get in on this, I keep thinking to myself that my cupcakes are just not coming out big enough. I want to charge around $3 but they are way to small for that right now. Are people using the jumbo pans or muffin pans instead of cupcake pans? I need bigger cupcakes!

scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:10am
post #8 of 11

If you use the tulips, they fit in a regular pan.

Mimi, I only sell 12, but I am planning the retail storefront and I didn't think of that.

Susan

scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:18am
post #9 of 11

I forgot a huge issue with the tulips... They need to be spaced apart. Only 1/2 the standard amount or the middle ones will not bake evenly. So for charity, I still use the standards with big orders.

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net

If you buy in quantity, the price is not so bad. I use their regular brown greaseproof for charities.

monosylabicgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monosylabicgirl Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

The word professional is often misused by marketers to sell their products. For cupcakes and muffins, look at the numerous sizes available and do your market research to see what sized cupcakes customers in your region prefer.

My professional opinion: Stay away from the larger sized cupcakes.

I agree! I want something bigger than the standard size but not a jumbo. Maybe I need to try some recipes that dome up so I can add more batter to the standard size? I've tried adding more batter with the current recipes i use and get muffin tops :/

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 11

Charming Creations makes standard size liners, but taller. Instead of 1 3/8 inches high, it is 1 3/4 inches.

http://www.charmingcreationsbaking.com/BROWN-GREASE-PROOF-LINERS.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%