Adding Color To Fondant...

Baking By Mom2Kael Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm by shuswapcakes

Mom2Kael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Kael Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I'm tackling my first fondant cake today! My sister's birthday is tomorrow so I'm going to surprise her with a nice cake. I intend to make only one batch of fondant, but it says to add the food coloring to the entire batch but I'm looking to have a few different colors on the cake. Also, I'm using the food coloring drops that I know I probably shouldn't use, but its what I have on hand. So are there any tips for how I can go about this? Do I knead the coloring in?

4 replies
taztastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taztastic Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 5

Hi icon_biggrin.gif

I've found that if u have alot of fondant to colour then the simplist way that i found is in a mixer with a dough hook, as this takes out all the hard work! Add the food colour little by little so you don't over do it. If you want to make different colours then just take a little out before you colour the main batch. Small amounts can be colour by hand just kneading it in. Make sure you have icing sugar (powdered sugar) to hand to as some colourings can make the fondant sticky adding small amounts can avoid this. hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 5

start early! try to color a little bit of fondant first ... just in case it goes all wrong and you have to make more. liquid coloring might make it sticky, so have some powdered sugar on hand to compensate. you might to be able to achieve deep colors. rub some vegetable shortening on your hands and work surface so the fondant won't stick while you're kneading it.

Mom2Kael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Kael Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 5

oy. this is hard lol. My fondant wont roll properly, it sticks to EVERYTHING. I guess this means I should go back and add more icing sugar? Good thing my kitchenaid has that dough hook icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 5

I make my own marshmallow fondant and I usually add the food coloring into the bowl before adding the powdered sugar (directly into the melted marshmallow mixture) This way I don't have to knead the color into the fondant. I've broken my wrist a few times and have a hard time kneading so this really takes the pressure off of doing any of that!

If I need a few different colors I make a few smaller batches and pour them into seperate bowls and add the color from there. For me this works the best icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%