Still Searching For Crusting Bc That I Like Taste Of........

Decorating By julz417 Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 9:18pm by AnnieCahill

julz417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julz417 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:03am
post #1 of 12

Hello..... I have tried several crusting (all crisco/hi ratio) buttercream recipes but I just can't find one that I feel tastes as good as my recipe made with half butter/half crisco. The problem is I can't get a real good crust with my current recipe to use any of the smoothing techniques. Here is the recipe I use:

4 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups crisco
2 Tbsps vanilla extract
4 lbs powdered sugar.
1 tsp popcorn salt
hot water as needed

I've also tried adding additional cornstarch (up to 1/2 cup for this recipe) and meringue powder (2 Tbsps) I've tried SugarShacks recipe using the hi-ratio shortening and while it is tasty, to me, its super sweet.

I guess what I'm looking for is: does anyone have a crusting buttercream recipe using butter...or is that impossible?? I've got some wedding cakes coming up and I really want my buttercream to be as smooth as possible. Am I going to have to just keep my recipe and use the "hot knife" method?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions icon_smile.gif

11 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:16am
post #2 of 12

We don't use any crisco or shortening in our buttercream, and it crusts and smooths just fine. We do use meringue powder. It's definitely not impossible to get all butter bc smooth. Our recipe is:

2 sticks butter
1 lb pow sugar
1 tbs meringue powder
2-3 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

That's a much smaller recipe than yours, but you get the idea.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:24am
post #3 of 12

When i make american crusting b/c, i also use butter, crisco, powder sugar, little salt, vanilla,or whatever flavoring, but i use heavy whipping cream for liquid. Mine always crust great, so i can use the paper towel method. I quit using meringue powder 17 yrs. ago. I could never smooth my icing. Lots of decorators on this site use indydebi's buttercream. They love it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

belizeandevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belizeandevil Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:44am
post #4 of 12

http://www.designmeacake.com/bcrec.html
from Edna De La Cruz
Ingredients:

1/2 cup solid high ratio shortening
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tablespoon of merengue powder
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract (or extract of choice)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk

Preparation:
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla and milk. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating on a slow speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Keep bowl or covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Don't overwhip or it will bring air to the icing and is impossible to smooth. If you have a kitchen Aid use white attachment, not whip attachment. You can use coffee creamers for flavorings or combine extracts.
YIELD: Makes about 3 cups.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:04am
post #5 of 12

I always add solid ganache to my buttercream. The other ingredients are butter, sugar and pure extracts. I particularly like how it doesn't leave great big holes when I smooth it. Its very creamy and crusts just fine.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 12

Your recipe looks to have too much butter/shortening for the amount of powdered sugar. That ratio of fat/sugar is what aids crusting.
I use Indydebi's bc, and when I double the recipe, I use 2 2/3 cups shortening to 4# sugar. Your recipe uses 4 1/4 cups fat to 4# sugar. Maybe you could just use less fat in the recipe.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 12

I haven't used one for my cakes, but this past weekend, I made a gluten free brownie recipe from Ellen Brown's "Gluten-Free Christmas Cookies" book. It called for a peppermint frosting that crusted very well and was very good (and I'm generally "anti" powdered sugar based icing, as I use only meringue buttercreams icon_smile.gif ). Here is her recipe (without the peppermint oil and red food coloring it uses for this particular recipe):

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Beat butter, sugar and cream until light and fluffy.

This makes a very little bit, because it was for a small 9"x9" pan of brownies. I would guess that if you don't want it too sweet, you could substitute 1/2 of the powdered sugar with corn starch, which I've done before in other powdered sugar icing recipes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Your recipe looks to have too much butter/shortening for the amount of powdered sugar. That ratio of fat/sugar is what aids crusting.
I use Indydebi's bc, and when I double the recipe, I use 2 2/3 cups shortening to 4# sugar. Your recipe uses 4 1/4 cups fat to 4# sugar. Maybe you could just use less fat in the recipe.

A ration of 1 cup fat to 1 lb powder sugar will crust just fine. That is what I use all the time, and don't have a problem with it, though I do use all crisco.

It seems that when ever someone has a problem with crusting and their ratios are pretty close to the 1 cup to 1 lb they are using butter.

Butter has some extra liquids in it so it tends to make a softer icing. It may be that you need to decrease the amount of liquid you add to the recipe, decrease the butter/crisco a little bit or add in a little more powder sugar.

I'd start with taking off that 1/4 cup of crisco (ratio wise it isn't need) and would probably go ahead and reduce the butter by a 1/4th cup as well to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I think you will just have to add in more powder sugar.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 12

Crusting depends on the ratio of fat to sugar. It doesn't matter if it's all butter or not, if it's the right ratio it will crust.

That said, I use a recipe from Jeff Arnett, which you can find under his upside down method tutorial. It's 1 lb of butter, 1 c of shortening, 2 lbs of sifted powdered sugar, hot whipping cream, and 2-3 tbs vanilla.

I think it crusts, but I've never used anything besides a scraper to smooth out this BC. I usually use IMBC but I use Jeff's recipe when I do cakes for children or I need something a little more heat stable.

If you practice with a scraper, you won't need any of that other stuff to smooth. I would pull my hair out going over a cake with a Viva, a foam roller, parchment, printer paper, etc.

julz417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julz417 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you all so very much for your wonderful recommendations and suggestions! I'm sure you can all guess what I'll be doing this weekend!! Off to the market I go!!!

Happy Caking, wish me luck????

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 12

Try Sugar Shack's again but add some popcorn salt to it. Start out with 1 teaspoon, taste it, and add more as you prefer. I do this with many of my buttercream recipes and I get lots of compliments on how it isn't too sweet, which is many people's complaint.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 12

Oh yeah, definitely add salt when making any American Buttercream. I use a good palm-full, maybe about two teaspoons or so. I add it during the creaming process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%