Delivery Disaster

Decorating By princesszoey Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 9:59am by LisaPeps

princesszoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesszoey Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 5:07am
post #1 of 5

I stayed up all night making each animal for the noahs ark cake just perfect. I put it in the back of my SUV (1st mistake) and drive nearly 20 minutes on bumpy highways and roads. I was gettting a bad feeling, having had cakes settle and shift during delivery before, but this was a REALLY bad feeling. I get out walk around to the back of the car, peer in the window and almost fell to the ground! The cake hadn't just fallen or shifted, it had completely fallen apart, looking as if it had been dropped on the ground (and kicked a few times). Because the cake was in the shape of a boat with a narrow bottom it didn't have the stability of an "average" cake. But the absolute worse part, it was for MY nephews 1st Birthday. I couldn't turn and run, I had to walk into my mother-in-laws with tears in my eyes and a mangled cake in my hands. Luckily I do "photo shoots" of my cakes so I showed them was it used to look like. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 6:44am
post #2 of 5

Awww....I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I had a cake of mines split in half during my bumpy ride and it was going to a church. I understand just how you feel BUT you will feel better over time. Good thing is, you were able to show them what lovely creation you had made for your nephew icon_smile.gif i'm sure they were very understanding icon_smile.gif

ThePunkBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePunkBaker Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 6:56am
post #3 of 5

omg i am so sorry. i haven't ever had this problem before because i am only pretty new to the whole cake thing, but this terrifies me!! is there any thing you would have done differently in the support system if you could have a do over?

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 9:36am
post #4 of 5

Ohh thats awful.
I know how you feel tho. I had a cake finished boxed and ready to go. It was a 2 tier frog cake. The woman was about to come by to pick it up so I went to move it from my kitchen to the pickup table and dropped it! The whole cake smashed. Thankfully she was collecting it the day before so she said i could redo it and deliver the next day but wow, it was heartbreaking seeing all that work smashed!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 9:59am
post #5 of 5

Sorry this happened but atleast it is a learner curve.

For carved cakes you need a durable cake recipe (there is a box mix extender recipe in the recipe section) or use a pound cake scratch recipe.

To make it even more sturdy use ganache instead of
Buttercream on the outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%