Selling At Md Farmer's Market From Home Kitchen?

Business By banananutmuffin Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm by btrsktch

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 3

So I know Maryland is one of those states that pretty much kills the home baker (although I heard rumors that they are re-introducing the Cottage Law bill). Anyhoo, based on what I've read here (http://www.mda.state.md.us/pdf/valueaddedfood.pdf), it seems to me that it's legal to sell non-hazardous baked goods made in a home kitchen at farmer's markets.

Anyone do this? Am I reading the information wrong? Does this only apply to farmers?

Thanks for any insight you can offer me. I've contacted my local health department, but haven't heard a response yet.

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:26am
post #2 of 3

After reading the attachment, it appears as if the document limits home processing to farm kitchens. The exemption is for farmers who want to process value added products.

"Value added" addresses fresh farm products (such as produce or dairy) that can undergo a change to increase farmers profitability.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 3

No, you must still prepare and package all baked goods in a commercial setting.

And as someone who is going through the process of opening a storefront in Maryland, I can honestly say that I doubt very seriously that a bill will ever be passed to allow home baking. It took my contractors 3+ weeks to get on the docket for initial health department inspection, and they had to complain to the mayor's assistant (who was a personal contact) to get on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%