Giant Cupcake Pan/mould?

Baking By SamHarrison Updated 26 Jan 2013 , 12:23am by kri

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 17

Which are the best ones? It's time to invest in one and I can't decide which to go for!

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 17

I have the Wilton pan. It sucks.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I have the Wilton pan. It sucks.

Agreed! No for Wilton, you're wasting money

aubasmif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubasmif Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 17

Why no Wilton pan? What are the issues?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 17

I heard that it was ok only if you bake the top and bottom separately. I remember reading that the top bakes way faster than the bottom. I've heard Nordic Ware has one, but I can't remember if I've seen it or not...

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 17

I just checked Nordic Ware's site. They don't have it. I found it listed on Williams Sonoma but apparently it's no longer available.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 17

Wilton pans in general are thinner cheaper metal, they don't distribute heat as well as nicer pans. They are ok for those just starting out. But once you get into good high quality pans you really see a difference. Even cooking, consistency in cooking each time, etc

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 17

I totally agree. When I switched to Magic Line I was floored at the difference with baking. I'm interested in trying the Williams Sonoma Gold Touch pans. I have heard those are the Cadillac of bake ware. But I guess it all depends on the baker. icon_smile.gif

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 17

I got the Wilton pan cheep the solution is to bake the 2 sides separately.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 17

The Nordic giant cupcake pan is smaller than the Wilton one (I bought both) and yes - the trick is probably to bake separately (which I've never done) It turns out "ok" to do them both at the same time. I find both the Nordic and Wilton are the same quality - just different sizes

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 17

I have the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan. You need to bake each side separately. The smaller side takes about 35 - 40 minutes. The larger side takes about an hour. Decorating it is so much fun! Have you seen all the giant cupcakes in the gallery?

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 17

I also have the Wilton Pan - after the first time using it I did figure out that you have to bake the two sides separately. After that - PERFECT every time. Not sure why it didn't work for the other people, but it's a good pan once you learn the trick and bake separately.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 17

I love my Wilton cupcake pan, I've used it three times in the last few months... I don't bake in it though. I use it just for casting the chocolate wrapper.

For the bottom I bake 3x1" tall 6" round layers and carve it to fit in the chocolate wrapper. Then I bake 1x1" tall 8" cake and 2x1" tall 6" rounds for the top and carve to shape. To make the swirls if I'm covering in fondant I just add a sausage of fondant.

I hate the crispy edge which the pan leaves.

kkurek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkurek Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 12:33am
post #14 of 17

I have the silicone one. I got it as a work xmas exchange gift. At first I didn't like it, but now I do.

Tips:
Use shortening and flour to keep cake from sticking. Not a spray.
Use about 2 1/2 cups batter for the top and about 3 1/2 for the bottom.
You can bake them together in oven, but place on separate cookie sheets.The top with get done first.
Let the cake cool for at least 10 or 15 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
If you use the insert, weigh it down with rice or beans or something.
(I know, lots of tips, but it doesn't really come with directions. trial and error)

Major plus side of this pan! You can make really nice chocolate 'liner' for the giant cupcake. I use almost a whole bag of wilton candy melts. Layering 3 or 4 times while freezing quickly between. Then just peel back the silicone and it looks amazing! You'll have to carve down the cake a little bit though.

MikiChu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikiChu Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:02am
post #15 of 17

One of my friends is always offering up to make a giant cupcake anytime a birthday rolls around. It's so chewy and crazy looking. Every time she brings it up, I cringe. Thank God for bakeries!

kri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kri Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:18am
post #16 of 17

I too had a big dilemma which to choose whether to go for the wilton tin or silicone mould. I read a lot of blogs and finally decided to go for the silicone mould. It's true that top and bottom don't cook at the same time so took out top from the oven 20 minutes before the bottom. Then both were cooked well - v good result. If you buy the wilton tin you cannot take one out, you'll have to bake twice. My issue was to perfect my fondant on the bottom part as it took me a long time to make it as neat as I like it. Any suggestions? also, I used the spray to grease and did lightly for 3 times - the result, the cake just slipped out in a flash.

kri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kri Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:23am
post #17 of 17

Forgot to mention that the amount of batter to put in a silicone mould to have a very good sized cupcake is the same amount for an 8 inch cake tin i.e. batter using 6 eggs quantity.  Fill up each part 3/4 full and then you'll have a full sized top and full sized bottom.  The amount that is given with the instructions is too little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%