Canon Printer Not Recognizing Edible Ink...help!

Decorating By Mrs_O Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 4:01pm by Cserebogar

Mrs_O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_O Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all. I know someone out there has had this same problem and I need their help.
I recently got a Canon mg5220 printer as a gift and decided to make this my edible image printer at my bakery. I ordered the corresponding inks (and some paper) from Icing Images. Today I am trying to load up my printer and it is telling me that the ink cartridge (black one) is not recognized. Since Icing Images is closed on Saturday and I would really like to test this out today, I thought I would see if anyone had a solution. Any help is appreciated...thanks!

10 replies
Mrs_O Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 11

anybody??? icon_cry.gif

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 12:13am
post #3 of 11

I checked a post for the same issue but it was for a different type of printer. I found this utube video about resetting Canon printers in case you want to try it.

Good luck. Hope it helps.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 12:46am
post #4 of 11

Hi I saw your pm before I saw this post. Please check your messages

Mrs_O Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 11

replied to pm this morning. thanks

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 11

Can any printer be used if i buy edible ink?

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 11

okay- that's awesome- I am going out to get a printer this weekend- I am ordering edible ink.... frosting sheets..... the whole 9 yards...
This is gonna be fun --Thanks!

rarebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rarebird Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:02am
post #8 of 11

Just bought the same printer and installed Icing Image cartridges. I got one sheet printed and now it won't recognize one cartridge (cyan). The light goes on when I install it but when I try to print it says it doesn't recognize it. Have tried taking out and putting back in over and over.  Did you find a solution????  Can anybody help??? How come these problems always happen at night and on weekends when you can't call anybody?????

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:25am
post #9 of 11

Sometimes you have to push down a little harder until the cartridge "clicks" all the way down.

It is possible to get a batch of cartridges where the chips are slightly misaligned. Or there are extra nubbies of plastic on the outside that interfere with the proper seating.  Before you stick your cyan cartridge back down, turn it over and look at the bottom and the side where the chip is.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 11

I've had the same problems.  The first time I had to replace all the little chips from the edible cartridges with the regular ones (per advise from Icing Images).  They have been very helpful... I just email and they answer.  This is happening again... I don't understand and it is very frustrating.  I have the same Canon printer mentioned.  Is this a common problem?

Cserebogar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cserebogar Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 11

If you own the Canon MG5220 or others you need to check to see which cartridge re-setter works for your printer. Re-set the cartridge and you should be fine. One other note: There are also flush kits available I found to clean your print head...one in the UK. It attaches to your faucet. I did some you tube research and you can use a steamer on the print head

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%