Adhering Roses To Sides Of Cake?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 7:04pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 4

The wedding is getting closer and I'm getting more nervous. I've attached tiny flowers to cake sides, but not roses.... The cake will be 11-9-7 and maybe a 5. So there won't be huge ledges for the roses. It will all be out of buttercream, no fondant. How can I cascade some of the roses without them falling off? Will splotches of bc be enough to hold them or do I need to poke in toothpicks or??

3 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 4

I insert bamboo sticks cut to about 2 to 3 inches before the roses dry in order to cascade down the sides, otherwise if they are large they will fall off. the tiny smaller accents can be glued with royal icing but not the larger. the bamboo sticks cost about 1 to 2 dollars and are found in supemarkets for grilling shrimp/veggies. I imagine a thicker toothpick has been used by others with varying degrees of success dependent on the size/weight of flower.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 4

Make them in advance, let them air dry, then when you're ready to attach them to the cake you start building the cascade from the bottom up so the lower roses are helping to support the upper roses. Just adhere with buttercream or let the BC leaves provide the glue to hold it all together (or both).

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 4

Ok - good idea to start at the bottom. I will be doing a practice cake, so I will try this - and have the sticks on hand if I need them.

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%