Carving Question...

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 5:15pm by prettycupcake

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have to carve a helmet cake tonight, I just have a simple but important question. Do I fill it and then carve it or carve it and then fill it??

Thanks for your help...its my first time carving...

5 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 6

Fill it and then carve. Good luck with your first carving - make you you share photos with us! I have a helmet cake in the gallery here; it definitely helps to have a real helmet close at hand to use for reference!

prettycupcake Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Fill it and then carve. Good luck with your first carving - make you you share photos with us! I have a helmet cake in the gallery here; it definitely helps to have a real helmet close at hand to use for reference!

Thanks allot!! I will definatly post pictures!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

I did one recently. I fill, crumb, then carve. After I (thought) I was all ready to ice, I decided to cut off the top of the helment and place a cake board and support under it. I thought it was too much cake and weight to not have support. I'm glad I did.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 6

And now for the dissenting opinion. icon_smile.gif

If you're planning to fill with anything other than buttercream, carve first, then fill so you can add the necessary dam.

If you're filling with buttercream, go ahead and fill, then carve. icon_smile.gif

prettycupcake Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Hi I finished my helmet cake...I'm very happy with the results, Check it out when you have a chance...and that you and everyone for the support and advise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%