Grease/flour Pans

Decorating By pennyemer Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 4:13pm by TexasSugar

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 12

I've decided to take another cake decorating class just to learn new stuff. The instructor praised me for being the only student using Wilton cake pans and getting a 2" cake.
She then tells us to never coat our pans before baking! Never. She states that just using the parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pan is all we need. She stated that the reason our cakes were pulled away from the edges of the pans was due to the grease & flour.
Has anyone every baked this way? My fear is a tore up cake when I removed it even if I run a knife around the edges first.

11 replies
Criskk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criskk Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 12

Thanks to someone here on CC I started using a mix to coat my pans. I do not have pull away and I have yet to have a cake stick. I keep this mix in my frig at all times. Take equal parts of oil, flour & shortening, mix well; apply to pan with paper towel or pastry brush. I love this stuff! Cheap and works!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 12

I have never had any luck not greasing and flouring my pans. I use Fat Daddios, though.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 12

I do not grease my cake pans most of the time. But I always use parchment on the bottom. My cakes never stick. I just run a sharp knife around the edge and the cake comes out no problem. This method is best for sponge cakes and Genoise. Not greasing the sides helps hold them "up" while cooling. They don't pull in from the sides either. Those are my 2 go to cakes. But I will grease and parchment for a coffee cake and things like that.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criskk

Thanks to someone here on CC I started using a mix to coat my pans. I do not have pull away and I have yet to have a cake stick. I keep this mix in my frig at all times. Take equal parts of oil, flour & shortening, mix well; apply to pan with paper towel or pastry brush. I love this stuff! Cheap and works!

This is exactly what I use for all my cakes & have never had a problem. I usually make a good amount & just store it in a mason jar.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 12

No, the reason the cakes pull away from the edges is because they have been over baked or have shrunk during baking.

I use Baker's Joy spray and parchment and I've never had an issue. I don't like chiseling at the sides of my cakes with a spatula to get them out of the pans. To me it produces too many crumbs.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:19am
post #7 of 12

I also only bake Gluten-Free, which different all together too. The rules that apply to wheat baking don't work in gluten-free cooking. I never over bake my cakes.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:55am
post #8 of 12

I took the Wilton class and was told to use wax paper in the bottom of the pan. I started doing it and it works beautifully. Never had a problem getting the cake out of the pan after that!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:34am
post #9 of 12

Every instructor, Wilton or otherwise, has their own way of baking a cake. Wilton DOES NOT prescribe how to bake to its instructors.

I line the bottom of the pan with parchment and I use Wilton pan release (squeeze bottle, not spray) or homemade.

I never have to run a knife around the edge, I don't overbake, and I never cut away edges.

I've tried other methods and this one has been no-fail for me.

Rae

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 12

Well I did as instructed and only used parchment in the bottom of the pan. I did have to run a knife along the edges slightly. I'm not keen on running a knife in my pan and scratching it.
I also have used the flour/oil/shortening mixture for over 20 years and never have a problem with stuff sticking into the pan.
This week she introduced cornelli lace. I was doing my cake as I have seen others done, a continuous line never overlapping. She said "no no, you do swirls and cross them over each other". No, it looks sloppy and like a 2 year old had the decorated the cake!
I just keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told, as I am the student.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Every instructor, Wilton or otherwise, has their own way of baking a cake. Wilton DOES NOT prescribe how to bake to its instructors.

Very true!

In the Course 1 Basic's book you will see Wilton's suggestions for preparing a pan. Wilton actually suggests that you use their Bake Easy Spray or squeeze bottle of stuff. They say nothing about parchment paper, so what your WMI told you is her opinion, not the 'official' Wilton way.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 12

I also have used the flour/oil/shortening mixture for over 20 years and never have a problem with stuff sticking into the pan..[/quote]

I ALWAYS tell my students, if they have something that they do that works for them, then by all means keep doing it! I do tell them what I do, but I pretty much say what works in my ktichen may not work in theirs. You will see it all the time on here, there are always mutiple ways that work for some people that don't work for others. Do what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyemer

This week she introduced cornelli lace. I was doing my cake as I have seen others done, a continuous line never overlapping. She said "no no, you do swirls and cross them over each other".

Sounds like she needed a refresher, because cornelli lace lines should never touch or cross over each other. http://www.wilton.com/technique/Cornelli-Lace

I'm also guessing you got the full 2 in layers, not because you use Wilton pans (though you may have) but because you put more cake mix in the pan than the cake mix box suggested. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%