Aaahhhh - - - - Just Breathe...

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 3:20am by QTCakes1

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 13

Last nights cake disaster!!!

So I worked from 8pm to about 12:30 last night on my cute batman pullapart cupcake order. I baked a dozen chocolate cupcakes, a dozen vanilla cupcakes...made white buttercream, blue buttercream, and gray buttercream. Lined them all up on a 13x9 inch cardboard board to go in their box...frosted them, and put the colors in the pattern that they were meant to go into. Then thought I'd try out this 'hot knife' technique that many mentioned on here yesterday to smooth my buttercream. I heated up water in a bowl and was at the table...it was working but the water wasn't staying hot enough...so it was getting late and I wanted to speed it up...I remembered someone saying they use boiling water - so I boiled water.....went to bring my cupcakes to the counter by the stove -and took 3 steps...the cardboard buckled and 2 dozen cupcakes slid to the floor, landing upside down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh..... of course the lady is coming after work to pick them up today - I was supposed to run home and add the fondant accents to them and be done!

Now I have to order 2 dozen unfrosted cupcakes from a local bakery- go home and just do a standard swirl with blue and gray frosting...and regular fondant accents- I will not have the time to do pull-apart cupcakes - in the supercute design that I had icon_sad.gif

So the lesson to be learned here....cardboard is definitely not strong enough to carry 24 cupcakes frosted with buttercream...a tray underneath would have been better! -Had it not happened then, it could have happened when the design was complete and I was trying to put the board in the box!! Then we would have had tears!

Luckily these are for a close friend - and it's just her son's cupcakes to bring into school - - I will be doing his birthday cake this weekend------ever so carefully!!

12 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 13

Ack! I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm sure your friend will be forgiving.

I use the hot-knife method, but not next to the stove. I bought a $12 electric kettle just for this purpose. I fill a stainless steel bowl to hold my bench scraper and a 2-cup measuring cup to hold my spatulas. The water stays hot long enough, but if, for some reason I need more, I just keep that kettle percolatin' and pour more into my bowl.

Aside from heating the water lightning fast, it saves you from heating up a burner on the stove and taking away valuable flat work space!

Funny thing is, when I need boiling water quickly for other purposes (tea for guests, for example), sometimes I forget I have the kettle. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 13

Foam core would be a much better choice then cardboard, it wont buckle on you. Can be purchased at Michaels or any are supply store.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 13

OMG! I am so sorry that happened to you! I hope you have a chance to try that technique though. It does work well. I have used the stove but I also have a "buffet burner" that I use to put a pot on when I have multiple cakes to do and need the space. As far as the cardboard goes, I use the double thick ones on some items (cookie cakes) and cake drums on others. I use foam core when I need a special size (like under my chicken!) I did have problems with one cake drum I purchased (1/2 sheet cake size) where it had the corrugation on all of the layers going in the same direction! It flexed when the cake was moved. I have a whole case but will find another use for them! I hope you post pictures of the cake you do for him! Good luck!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks, I'll have to pic up an electric warmer then...and some foam core. That was the first time I've tried the hot knife method- and it was working well, so I will definately get more use out of a kettle thing. I am still very new with buttercream- I prefer fondant much more...which just means I need to practice with buttercream a lot!

And as long as I don't have any more disasters this week- I will definately post pics of the batman cake icon_smile.gif

inspiredbymom Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 13

Just an FYI, you need to cover the foam core with a food safe wrap. When I use it, I do it in foil (if it will not be seen) or the Wilton foil. I can get those at a regular store if I am not making a regular supply order. Foam core also comes in different thicknesses. Make sure you have one thick enough to do the job! Best wishes to you!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 13

I'm sure the swirl cupcakes will be easier for the teacher to serve than the pull-aparts would have been, although not as cute.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymom

Just an FYI, you need to cover the foam core with a food safe wrap. When I use it, I do it in foil (if it will not be seen) or the Wilton foil. I can get those at a regular store if I am not making a regular supply order. Foam core also comes in different thicknesses. Make sure you have one thick enough to do the job! Best wishes to you!

Actually, you don't need to cover the foamcore. I learned to use it from Colette Peters--she's been using it for years--and she doesn't cover it.

I wipe the board down with some vanilla extract (hi alcohol content) to sanitize and if the cake is going directly on it, I melt some edible soy wax and put a light coat on the board. This way, nothing has the chance to get cut during serving and comes up with the cake slices.

The cake below was 110 cupcakes on a 3/16th inch silver wrapping paper covered foamcore board on top of a base board made up of 2, 40x40 sheets of 3/16th inch foamcore taped together. Carried by 2 adults from house to car, from car to temple and into banquet area.

Rae

inspiredbymom Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 13

I guess the vanilla and soy wax replaces the wrapping? That sounds good on some designs that I have done where it is hard to wrap. Is there something that you use to replace the soy wax if you have a soy allergy? Do you have to special order the wax? I haven't run across it, but then again, I have not done a search. It does sound interesting though!

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 13

I don't accept orders with any dietary restrictions, so the soy hasn't been an issue. You could use beeswax, but it's much more expensive.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlewax_golden-brands-402-soy-container-wax.html

Rae

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:49am
post #11 of 13

Okay so I have to ask, how do you get the wax on there? I see you have to melt it, but how do you get it on there evenly? Thank you.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:51am
post #12 of 13

I rub it on with a paper towel. It's a very thin coat--barely enough to raise a flake if you scratch it with your fingernail.

Rae

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:20am
post #13 of 13

That sounds pretty easy. I've got to try it. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%