Oh My Stars!!!

Business By Alexsmommee Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 8:05pm by Alexsmommee

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 1:58pm
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsmommee

I want to thank someone on here that posted a graphics file regarding cake serving sizes. I can't find the thread now, but she made some neat little patterns to cut and fold. Here is what I did with them, and am posting them on my site.

The original "how-to" for the paper/cardstock sample serving sizes was done by schwammrs. I was so impressed with her contribution that I asked her to please re-post the information on the wilton.com forum. Here is a link to that thread with a link to her PDF instructions.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

The pdf can be downloaded from this web address:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d32aeq3vabk2bzz

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 5:22pm
post #62 of 72

And for the record I do not have a problem with Toba Garrett's pricing. In fact I am thrilled for her. I wish I could get the same. My point is in this day and age of mass media info., some of these people can not tell me they are just totally clueless about pricing. The biggest thing for me will always be when the web site says "servings start at $5" should help give some idea of what a cake may cost someone.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 5:59pm
post #63 of 72

Exactly...I have a feeling that Toba Garrett makes more money from her books etc than she does from cakes, and good for her. People do have an idea about what a cake costs, though, especially brides who go online the minute the ring is on their finger. There's plenty of info out there.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 6:35pm
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosalucy

Reading this post and your comment of how they came up with that (rediculous!) budget - reminds me of a really great blog I read last night. A must read for all cake decorators!

http://staceyssweetshop.blogspot.com/2011/08/howd-you-arrive-at-that-number.html

Wow, this was well written! And not the least bit arrogant in the explanation. I think most potential clients would appreciate and understand after reading this!

dwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwright Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:20am
post #65 of 72

I am dying here!!! I so wish I could find a post from a year or so ago that someone wrote that started out.."Dear Bride, ..and was all about cheap brides and referenced twinkies and m& m's and skittles etc... It was the funniest post EVER!! it would really give the OP a good laugh. Anyone know the post I am talking about?

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:55am
post #66 of 72
PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:57am
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

But that's my point, you just checked for fun and you still saw the prices. I know lots of people just check random sites for whatever reason and get inofrmation they weren't even looking for. And that's really what I meant, just looking at sites and seeing prices.

Yep! On our website menu bar, the link to our pricing page is 8 inches from the contact page link that they click on to email us, but I get emails that say "can you send me some pricing"... every single week. Good times. icon_smile.gif

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:43pm
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright

I am dying here!!! I so wish I could find a post from a year or so ago that someone wrote that started out.."Dear Bride, ..and was all about cheap brides and referenced twinkies and m& m's and skittles etc... It was the funniest post EVER!! it would really give the OP a good laugh. Anyone know the post I am talking about?

It did, and I needed it!!!

Well the bride has scaled the cake down immensely, gotten rid of most the realism and is going with a cute pink cartoony pig...still with apple and veil (???) On my wedding day, the last thing I would want to see is myself (a.k.a. the bride) be portrayed as a pig. Whatever. It's her day. HOWEVER, no one in her family know's this is the cake she's ordering. This should be interesting in June when I deliver this thing and the mother of the bride wants to know, "What the hell is that! Is that what my money bought!"

And the bacon part...still needs to look like bacon when cut. I think I have that figured out. Still needs to taste like bacon and nope I can't legally use bacon. Found some Torani Bacon Syrup. Fingers crossed. Has anyone used Torani syrups in their baking? How are they?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 5:05pm
post #69 of 72

You can't 'legally' use bacon? What do you mean?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 5:10pm
post #70 of 72

Maybe the bride has certain dietary or religious restrictions which prevent the use of bacon. I would convert immediately if I found out I couldn't have bacon, LOL .

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 6:05pm
post #71 of 72

I don't think I could use bacon in a cake either because the cottage food law here states that you can't use perishable items and proteins are at the top of the list.

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 8:05pm
post #72 of 72

I am a home-processor and only certain foods and food products are allowed to be processed in a home. Anything outside of that has to be in a "non-home based commercial facility." Now I can contact the inspector who'd make a determination if it qualifies as high-risk or low-risk and testing may be required; if I remember correctly, I think it about $50 per food product to be tested. Just easier to tell the customers I can't, but we can work around it with flavorings and the such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%