Eyeballs?

Decorating By Abia Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 10:04pm by Abia

Abia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abia Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, I've been lurking and reading for a while, but I just made an account and am finally posting.

I'm making a dragon cake (sculpted) and I want the eyeballs to look real. I was thinking of using poured sugar and making, basically, a marble.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make realistic eyeballs? Have you tried the method I'm thinking of using?

Thank you in advance!

3 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 4

Poured sugar would be interesting especially if you are using the isomalt sticks but I made some eyeballs for rose centers for Halloween (in my pictures) using gum paste balls, circle cutters and edible varnish (50/50 vodka and corn syrup). I was happy with them.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 4

You could also do white chocolate circles, and hand paint the pupil and iris on them...if you're using fondant for the head, make sure you make a socket to put the eye in and then form fondant over it to look like eyelids and make the eye look like it's set it....

And welcome!! - glad u finally have an account icon_wink.gif

Abia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abia Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks all!

I'm going to try both ways and see which I like best. Today is a test run for the competition in February. (Heaven help me...it's my first!)

And thank you for the tip on making an eyelid. I never even thought about that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%