Layering A Large Square Cake

Decorating By jendardis Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 12:44pm by jendardis

jendardis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendardis Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 6

Good Morning all! I am in the process of planning my 2nd square wedding cake. The 1st one turned out okay, but I had a problem layering the large 14" square cakes. When I went to flip it out, the cake broke. Can anyone give me some pointers or point me to a video or tutorial on how to layer that large of a cake?? TIA!

5 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

you cannot "flip it out". It has to be supported with cake board, or cooling rack on top to turn it out. Then once torted the top layer has to be slid on. Hope I understood and answered correctly.

jendardis Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you! Now...my cakes are pretty sticky on top, so I am not sure how I would slide it on. How does that work??

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 6

Now mine is kind of messy as well and I just struggle through it. I'm sure there is a better way! Slide cake off cake board or rack a little so you can line up the far side, tilt the cake up and slide it on pulling the board or rack out as you slide. Told you I struggled through it!! LOL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 6

Partially freeze the cake layers to make them easier to handle. A 14" square may need up to an hour in the freezer. Torte the cake, then leave it in the freezer until you can get a cake board between the layers without tearing them.

To make life easier, you should probably trim off the sticky top of your cake.

jendardis Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I never thought of partially freezing them. Will try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%