Beautiful Cookies

Baking By Charmed Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 3:55pm by shanter

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 25

I saw these cookies and they are incredible! MartinaF you are so talented. I don't know how those little lace parts are made? Those cookies are sooo beautiful. Is there a stencil to make those lace parts in the middle of the cookie? anyone knows how to do the lace part? here is one of her cookies:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1991828/gingerbread-wedding

24 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 25

I would say it's Sugar Veil, but since I've never used it I don't know for sure.

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 25

I don't know for sure but it kind of looks like sugarveil.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 25

I've never used sugar veil either, but I've seen videos of how it's used and I don't think this is it. Just because the details are sooo tiny. I think the cookie artist actually pipes everything by hand. I don't know how in the world she does it, but that's what it looks like to me.

jgifford Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 25

We could pm her and ask. Anybody have any idea what language she speaks and if Google will translate it? icon_confused.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 25

Her signature says she is from the Czech Republic. Most people speak Czech there. I'll try using Google Translate and send her a message.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:33am
post #7 of 25

I think it's all hand-done royal icing and lots and lots and lots of practice. Her whole gallery shows incredible work. When I first saw them, I wanted to order some cookies and have her ship them to me in Seattle. Then I realized she is in the Czech Republic.

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:55am
post #8 of 25

I read a post on one picture and someone ( can't remember who) asked her how she did it she said they were done with stencils they also asked if she would be willing to do a video and maybe someone could translate. She said it might be awhile that was in April 2011. So maybe one day we can all do cookies like her!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:34am
post #9 of 25

There are a number of ways to do these kinds of cookies. Sugarveil offers lace mats and the nozzle thingy so you can trace over a pattern. Then there are stencils, pattern transfers, or overlays (royal or chocolate.) Then again there's piping right on the cookie -- after you've made the impression you want to pipe. I guess it's whatever works.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:22am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Her signature says she is from the Czech Republic. Most people speak Czech there. I'll try using Google Translate and send her a message.

Please let us know when she replies. thanks
I looked at sugarveil mats and I didn't see any of those patterns. maybe they have those stencils only in czech republic.

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 25

I sent a message to her yesterday, but it's still sitting in my "outbox," which means she hasn't opened it yet. I'll make sure to post what she replies with.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 25

Nothing so sophisticated as Sugarveil icon_smile.gif . It's RI.

Being of Czech origin I used to see them quite often. It's a traditional style of decorating gingerbread cookies (similar skills are used to decorate Easter eggs - real eggs, in this case using different colors instead of RI). These patterns are hundreds of years old and originated in small villages, mostly in the eastern part of Czech Rep (Moravia), created individually by local countryside artists. I doubt she will reply soon, these artists are usually of a certain age (they don't go on-line so often and don't speak English). They learn to decorate from their mothers and grannies, it's something like a family tradition, so they have been doing it all their life. I've never really asked about details as it seems like something out of this world thumbs_up.gif and don't believe it would be possible to create something like this without years of practice (or Sugarveil?). HTH

jgifford Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 25

Wow Panel7124 - - that is absolutely amazing! I don't pipe - my hands have always been too shaky - so this is something like magic to me. Even more impressive, if that's possible. icon_eek.gif

Panel7124 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 25

Hehe jgifford, no piping for me either... Have a similar problem icon_redface.gif

This is a modern style of making gingerbread cookies, they are not so decorated but are still quite popular:
http://www.ahaonline.cz/clanek/trapasy/33390/pernik-z-matejske-pouti-takhle-ho-vyrabeji.html

The artists like Martina are really exceptional, there are not many of them nowadays.

http://perniky.artmama.cz/user/790/images
(if you click on the list - left, you can see work of other artists - even MartinaF)

Attachment: traditional Easter eggs
LL

jgifford Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:19pm
post #15 of 25

icon_eek.gif Incredible! I want to be like her when I grow up. icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 25

Another gal who is amazing (also from Czech republic) is Kraach. Check these pix out: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/kraach

jgifford Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Another gal who is amazing (also from Czech republic) is Kraach. Check these pix out: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/kraach

I think I saw some of hers on the website Panel1724 linked. Gorgeous work!

This is very humbling, you know. There are very few bakers in this country who have the level of skill to be able to do that by hand.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 25

Thanks for the explanation. Their work is truly amazing. Does it really take as long as it looks like it would or do people get quicker with practice? (obviously they would a little but I guess I mean significantly so)

If I ever managed to complete something even nearly like their smallest most simple design no one would EVER be eating it. I would put it in a case and make everyone I know sit looking at it!!!

Incredible to look at though!

Panel7124 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 25

[quote Does it really take as long as it looks like it would or do people get quicker with practice?
[/quote]

They are quite quick, like precisely calibrated machines or robots. Actually very quick icon_lol.gif Many years ago me and my friends have seen a lady to decorate cookies in this style . Not so skilled but still very good. We joked about decorating blindfolded. She said ok. Frankly, her cookie was at least 100 times better than anybody else's in the room. icon_redface.gif Giant heart (which is not so detailed) in the first attachment of previous post was made in 1 hour (don't know if they mean baking included).

Everybody usually has her/his secret recipe for the icing. Some use just powdered sugar and water, some eggwhites (there was no eggwhite or meringue powder available), sugar and lemon juice, some add potato starch - there are many variations. The cookies' taste is milder, not so spicy and they are usually quite soft and thick but depends on the area. My favourite - when I was child - were those covered with milk chocolate and coloured RI flowers. icon_rolleyes.gif

There is another CC member (Czech) who makes this type of cookies:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2137047/pern

I asked her once how she makes them - she responded: patience... and years of practice.

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 11:46pm
post #20 of 25

That is incredible! I couldn't imagine being able to do those intricate designs with a mold or stencil, but at the same time, the designs look too perfect to be done by a human hand. I can understand why this would take a lifetime to learn. I think just one of those cookies would take me a week, and it would not be precise. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Panel7124.

daj22602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daj22602 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:06am
post #21 of 25

There are other cookie artists doing what Martina does. One is a gal named Nadia. She has also put out two videos on these cookies on You Tube. Here is her site:

daj22602 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 8:11am
post #22 of 25

This is one of the best videos on how the lace cookies are made and decorated. It is not in English, but you can follow it. You can also do a search on You Tube for other videos similar to this one.
Mandala mintás mézeskalács
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2TZF-vI86E&feature=related

This is all from the Czechoslovakia Republic. Google Czechoslovakia Gingerbread. I also Googled Czechoslovakia Gingerbread Hearts and got a lot.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:55pm
post #25 of 25

You can see more of this type of Czech cookie if you do a Google Images search on mézeskalács (as well as perniky, and pernicky). Stunning work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%