Royal Icing As A Buttercream Substitute On Dummies?

Decorating By bellacakecreations Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 4:24am by Annabakescakes

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys I was just reading throught the long bridal show thread and had been nervous about messing up my buttercream dummies during the setup at a bridal show (my first) I just read that someone planned to use royal icing. Can you? Is it better? I will be taking more than a few dummies and I'm just nervous I guess icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you can use royal icing on a dummy.

If you do the buttercream early enough, it will harden up and not damage as easily as you think.

bellacakecreations Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the response. I just know that something horrible will happen to one of them lol.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 6

I have messed with buttercream dummies in places that I worked and it is just as hard as royal after a few months. A benefit of buttercream is that you can smooth it. Royal can look quite bad if you can't get it smoothed, and you cannot use a viva with it.

To clarify, I am talking about American buttercream, with water, powdered sugar and grease. No dairy or flavoring.

bellacakecreations Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:26am
post #5 of 6

Thank you. I was worried about smoothing the royal icing. I use American Buttercream but I have never used it more than a day or two ahead so it's never really HARD just slightly crusted. Any idea if this kind of buttercream would be hard enough in a week to withstand minor bumps.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:24am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacakecreations

Thank you. I was worried about smoothing the royal icing. I use American Buttercream but I have never used it more than a day or two ahead so it's never really HARD just slightly crusted. Any idea if this kind of buttercream would be hard enough in a week to withstand minor bumps.

You could always add some meringue powder. Icing dries harder and faster on a dummy due to the fact their is no moisture in styrofoam like their is cake. I think it would with stand minor things, but if you truly can't be careful, use royal. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%