Kids Afterschool Class?

Decorating By jstan Updated 10 Jan 2012 , 2:37pm by Debbye27

jstan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstan Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to teach a one hour class of 1st-4th graders at my kids school. The class lasts for 5 weeks. I am not sure what to do??? (1)I was thinking of decorating a cupcake day where they decorate their own cupcake with premade fondant accents(made by me). (2) fondant teach the Duff rose that is easy for a child.(3) bring in inch cakes for them to frost and decorate. OK thats only 3 out of 5 HELP i need ideas I am terrified of standing in front of all those kids and having nothing to say or do???PLEASE HELP.

3 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 4

How about cookies...kids love decorating sugar cookies- I recently did one for kindergarteners where I piped out icing onto their cookies and let them go to town with sprinkles....they loved it- you could even let the older kids pipe onto them.....

Debbye27 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 4

And maybe a cake pop day? I don't know if you have access to electricity- but have cake pops premade on sticks, and have the melted chocolate in a few colors....each kid can dip their pop, then decorate with sprinkles or other chocolate colors.....

Also- don't be nervous- I've worked with children a lot- if you do active talking WITH them, rather then talking at them it will go smoother. For instance- rather then telling them what you do.....and expecting every kid to listen and pay attention....use questions...like - Who knows what a baker does? What do you guys like to order when you go to a bakery? How many flavors of cake can you name??? Kids love answering questions and being involved in discussions!!

Good luck! And I hope you have someone to help you clean up all the messes icon_wink.gif

Debbye27 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

And maybe a cake pop day? I don't know if you have access to electricity- but have cake pops premade on sticks, and have the melted chocolate in a few colors....each kid can dip their pop, then decorate with sprinkles or other chocolate colors.....

Also- don't be nervous- I've worked with children a lot- if you do active talking WITH them, rather then talking at them it will go smoother. For instance- rather then telling them what you do.....and expecting every kid to listen and pay attention....use questions...like - Who knows what a baker does? What do you guys like to order when you go to a bakery? How many flavors of cake can you name??? Kids love answering questions and being involved in discussions!!

Good luck! And I hope you have someone to help you clean up all the messes icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%