Do I Need To Cover A Foam Board?

Decorating By mjsirhunter Updated 10 Jan 2012 , 3:45am by MarianInFL

mjsirhunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsirhunter Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 14

I have a full sheet cake(18x24)due on friday. This is my first ful sheet so im not 100% sure what board to put it on or how to box. I boughta foam board to put it on but do i need to cover that board and with what?Also i bought 2 19x14 boxes and thought i could piece them together to make one big box..anyone ever do this? Thanks for any advise.

13 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 14

Covering your foam board will make for a nicer presentation. I use wrapping paper or scrapbooking paper or even cover it in fondant and put ribbon around the edges. My cakes are always on a cardboard round (or square) so my cake does not come in contact with the foam board or paper.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 14

Definitely cover it!
The first time I used a foam board, it looked so shiny and nice, I figured I didn't need to cover it. Big mistake! It was all greased spotted around the cake the next morning.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 14

Yep it will grease spot bad if not covered. I made a guitar in 2 pieces, so they could move it when picking it up, and both were on their own boards, but just that little bit of contact with the foam board, made a perfect grease outline to show where the guitar was to be ...

mjsirhunter Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you for the responses..the biggest cake board i can find are 19x13...should I just put two of these side by side under the cake between the cake and the foam board?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 12:55am
post #6 of 14

When i do a cake that large, I just use 3/16fh inch foamcore for all of the boards. Cheaper than buying a good quality base board, or even laminating 3 or 4 corrugated boards together--at least at my cake store board prices. Sturdier, too.

I'd put the cake on it's own piece cut to the same size as the cake and then tape 2 together--making a double layer of 2 full sheets, 20x30 for the decorative board. You could trim the long side to be 26", but it would be fine if you didn't. I'd cover it with wrapping paper and then cover that with clear contact paper. It's a heavy cake, too, so I'd also stick on some "feet"--I get packs of them at the Dollar Store. Makes it easier for picking up & moving.

Rae

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 12:56am
post #7 of 14

So if you are covering it with scrapbook paper, how does it not get the grease spots on it?

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:01am
post #8 of 14

I cover the scrapbook paper with clear contact paper. That's what was done for the cake below:

Rae

mjsirhunter Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:08am
post #9 of 14

I bought a 1/2 thick foam board. So I could cover that with wrapping paper and contact paper then use two of my 19x13 boards cut to fit the exact size of the cake so that thier is a barrier between the cake and foam board? Do I need a barrier if the foam board is covered with contact paper?

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:16am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsirhunter

I bought a 1/2 thick foam board. So I could cover that with wrapping paper and contact paper then use two of my 19x13 boards cut to fit the exact size of the cake so that thier is a barrier between the cake and foam board? Do I need a barrier if the foam board is covered with contact paper?

Well, the 1/2 thick foamcore will be the perfect base board covered in wrapping paper & clear contact paper.

As for the board the size of the cake, yes, it does create the barrier between the cake and the contact paper, BUT, it also makes it easier to move the cake around, etc. For me, the 2 9x13s wouldn't work because they'd have to be taped together--and tape shouldn't come in contact with the cake or icing--it'll lose it's stick. I'd use a single 3/16th inch board cut to 18x24 for that. I'd center it on the base board, using some glue dots or buttercream to hold it in place.

Rae

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:23am
post #11 of 14

Contact paper! Brillant! Love the cake and scrapbook paper comes in so many different designs. Thanks!

mjsirhunter Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:25am
post #12 of 14

Thank you. Any idea on the box? The cake is being picked up and I always like to have it in a nice box but I couldn't find a bakery box big enough. Have you ever tried to piece together two smaller cake boxes to get a bigger one?? I was thinking glue/tape the bottoms together at the front flap, interlock the sides in the opposite box and then have the top open in the middle? Sorry for all the questions. While this isnt my biggest cake its my first full sheet ( all the others have been tiers)

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:55am
post #13 of 14

Well, with the decorative base board, which needs to be larger than the actual cake--no less than 2" all the way around, more, if you have it (but with a 20x30 foamcore board, you'll have 1" on 2 sides--I'm hard pressed to see a way to get those 2 boxes (that I assume are the thin white bakery boxes????) to work very well.

My DH makes me custom boxes all of the time, usually just a tiny bit larger than the base board, and for heavy cakes, I add another piece of corrugated cardboard cut to the box size to reinforce the bottom of it.

When I'm stuck, I go to Costco and grab a nice, clean, dry, heavy duty box that the cake will fit in and line it with parchment/wax paper, covering the top with saran wrap. Not the greatest option, but it works in a pinch.

rae

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 3:45am
post #14 of 14

I use cellophane to cover wrapping paper on the board. I get in in rolls at Michael's. I don't know how much contact paper costs, but the cellophane isn't that much, especially with a coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%