Smuckers Simply Fruit Vs. Jam

Decorating By JLG Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 4:35pm by TexasSugar

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 12

I'm looking at going a fruit filling in a buttercream cake. I went to the store and found the Jam that everyoen talks about - but then saw next to it a jar "Smucker's Simply Fruit". What's the difference and which should I use for the filling?

It's a buttercream layer cake - friend wants Raspberry filling. So I saw the post of adding Jello to the Jam and then using that as filling. Is this accurate? Or, do I just use the product out of the jar?

Please help. Never did a fruit filling before. I do know to go with the seedless version though. icon_cool.gif

JLG

11 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 12

I can't help with what the difference it. You would need to take a look at the two labels and determine if it's the level of added sugar or preservatives. I did find this link though, which may help. http://wellnessbywendy.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/jamsjelliespreserves-labeling/

If I want a raspberry filling, I usually make it from frozen raspberries. It's pretty easy and tastes really good.

Here's a good recipe I've used, and have left out the liqueur.

http://www.cakeboss.com/raspberryfilling.aspx

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 12

As was said, you should compare the ingredient list on the two. The 'simply fruit' from what I remember is nothing but curshed fruit - *maybe* some sugar.
Jam will contain fruit *juice*, sugar, pectin, maybe articifical flavoring and preservatives.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:11am
post #4 of 12

I use seedless raspberry or strawberry preserves for a filling. I believe that the Simply Fruit has less sugar and more of the fruit fiber in it.
I don't add anything to the preserves, but I do put a thin layer of buttercream on the cake layers before piping my dam and adding the preserves.

Rae

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:36am
post #5 of 12

Buy Henry and Henry raspberry filling in the sleeve. It's the best for fillings (not too sweet), and it's cheaper than buying jam because you get a lot in the sleeve. If you don't have a cake supply store that sells it, you can order it online.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:48am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Buy Henry and Henry raspberry filling in the sleeve. It's the best for fillings (not too sweet), and it's cheaper than buying jam because you get a lot in the sleeve. If you don't have a cake supply store that sells it, you can order it online.

I really wish that I liked these fillings, but they have a distinct chemical taste to me & I find them a bit runny.

I just buy seedless jams when they're on a good sale at the grocery store and they taste great & work like a charm.

Rae

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 5:27am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

I really wish that I liked these fillings, but they have a distinct chemical taste to me & I find them a bit runny.

I just buy seedless jams when they're on a good sale at the grocery store and they taste great & work like a charm.

Rae

I agree. I suppose there are those of us who are sensitive to the chemical taste while others don't notice, but I find that is all I can taste in those sleeve fillings. It gives me a headache and makes my back itch too, (weird, i know!) if I eat enough. It took me 3 moths of working in a bakery to figure it out.

I use pure jam or all fruit, or mix them depending on the consistency I want for the flavor at hand.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 6:54am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

Rae

I agree. I suppose there are those of us who are sensitive to the chemical taste while others don't notice, but I find that is all I can taste in those sleeve fillings. It gives me a headache and makes my back itch too, (weird, i know!) if I eat enough. It took me 3 moths of working in a bakery to figure it out.

I use pure jam or all fruit, or mix them depending on the consistency I want for the flavor at hand.

I agree. I don't use the sleeves very often, adn when I do, I just don't like it. I like to use the perserves at Trader Joes. I find a higher fruit content yeilds more flavor. When i have used the jellys or jams it seems to sweet.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 6:59am
post #9 of 12

I totally agree about H&H other fillings like their blueberry, lemon, bavarian cream and cream cheese...yuck...those DO have a chemical taste to them, but the raspberry when eaten as a filling is the best I've tasted...and used...and is the most requested filling I have. Most jams and jellies are all way too sweet. This compliments my cake and buttercream wonderfully. And it's not loose or runny at all. Love it!

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 12

I have used the raspberry jam mixed with raspberry jello recipe. It turns out really well! Every cake I've used it in has received rave reviews! I recommend it. It's really yummy with lemon cake!

DanishPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanishPastry Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:48am
post #11 of 12

http://www.orchardcountry.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=orchard&Category_Code=Jam_Jelly_Butter

I purchase the seedless raspberry jam from Orchard Country, Door County, WI. It has a nice, rich flavor.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 12

Simply Fruit doesn't have added sugar to it, like other jams/jellies/preserves.

I've used Simply Fruit as well as the others for fruit fillings many of times with no issues. I don't mix anything with it either, just use it straight out of the jar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%