Giant Cupcake

Decorating By mwatson77 Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 10:08pm by kendra_83

mwatson77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwatson77 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a giant cupcake, which I have never done one and some mini cupcakes. The customer wants leopard print, hot pink and turquoise. She wants the top of the cupcake hot pink and the mini cupcakes hot pink and turquoise. I want to make the cupcake wrapper on the big one in leopard print. What is the best way to make it still look like a cupcake wrapper but with the print on it. Any suggestions would help since I'm still new at this.

2 replies
JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 3

If using the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan, you could use the candy melts to make the "wrapper" for the big cupcake and before putting in the first solid layer of candy melts, you could paint the other colors in and allow them to harden first, or painting them in, waiting just a few minutes and filling the first coat. I've never tried that, but I do know that painting in different colors of candy melts works in other types of things, such as molds.

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 3

I also read a tutorial on doing the base with candy melts. It looks really clean and it seems much easier than trying to cover with fondant. For the leopard print, I painted on blobs of gold dust mixed with vodka and then accented with black Americolor gel color. Not sure if it would work with the candy melts, though. After everything was dry, I brushed on copper pearl dust.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2208021/leopard-red

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%