Need Help With Cake Decorating Demonstration

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 12:42am by poohsmomma

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a cake decorating demonstration for a womens circle. I will be "teaching" a bit and then the women will be assembling and decorating their own 6inch cake to take home.
i am trying to figure out what i should be teaching them. its a one time thing so i want the ladies to feel like they are learning something but on the other hand i only have like 1/2 an hr.
i was thinking to include:
leveling a cake
filling a cake (making an icing dam)
crumb coat
icing (not sure what else to explain except about making sure no crumbs come in the cake)

then i will show them
how to put things (like cake crumbs, sprinkles, mini choc chips, etc) on the side of the cake
a couple borders (shell boarder and an 8 boarder)
how to make a simple flower (just using dots)
basic writing tips (put letters specifically not even to make it look like its on purpose, or if you write in scrip then make a curly line to follow)

what do you think? what else should i be teaching them? or any changes to what i am thinking of?
thank you!!!

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:20am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like a plan. Depending on how many women are in the group, half an hour might not be enough time to share the equipment that you have (i.e. levelers, pastry bags with different consistencies and tips, filling choices, spatulas, turntables, bowls full of sprinkles, etc.)

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:33am
post #3 of 6

sorry i wasn't clear-i am demonstrating for about 1/2 hr and then they will have up to an hour to do their own cake

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

That's a LOT to try and show a group in 1/2 hour. You might want to scale back a little.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:42am
post #5 of 6

I suggest that you show only some of your equipment if these people are inexperienced. If you show them everything that you use for your more complicated cakes, it might intimidate them. I'm thinking of two classes I tried to take: (1) a painting class that started with how to build an easel! and (2) a silver-jewelry fabricating class that started with how to convert your home natural gas heat into a source for your jewelry torch! In both cases, I just wanted a taste of the thing to see if I was really interested before I went at it whole hog with a big investment.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

I teach a basic class much like you're describing through our community ed. It takes me three hours to demonstrate step by step and then have the students repeat each step-leveling, torting, building a dam, filling, crumb coating, resting, icing, smoothing, VIVA method, making some basic piped designs, and making Duff roses and leaves.
I bake all the cakes and make all the icing. I take turntables and each student gets a kit I put together with a spatula, some bags, couplers and tips, fondant smoother, and putty knife (for smoothing the sides.)
Everyone leaves with a decorated cake, and they seem to like the class. I hope you have good luck with yours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%