Timing Of Baking, Freezing, And Prepping For Order

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 12:57pm by AnnieCahill

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:07am
post #1 of 8

I have 2 orders due next week, one being a large order of cupcakes. So I'm thinking if possible, it'd be best to bake in advance, freeze, and then just let thaw in time to decorate. I'm not certain how well cupcakes would hold up to that, but I could bake those either the night before or the day of icing. Now the other order is a 2 tier cake. Would it be wise, and still fresh tasting, to bake the layers a few days early and freeze?

TIA!

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:16am
post #2 of 8

Of course, cake layers freeze very well.

JillycakesEtc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 6:59am
post #3 of 8

This is probably a really stupid question but, how do you defrost the cake? Just sit it out on the counter? Do you wait until it is fully defrosted before you decorate, I would guess?? Does freezing it not change the taste or texture at all???

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 8:37am
post #4 of 8

Yes, just sit it out on the counter.

You should wait until it is fully defrosted before you ice it or you can get air pockets under the icing from the air trying to escape, but you might get away with icing it if it's still partially frozen.

Freezing can actually help to add moisture.

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:10am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Yes, just sit it out on the counter.

You should wait until it is fully defrosted before you ice it or you can get air pockets under the icing from the air trying to escape, but you might get away with icing it if it's still partially frozen.

Freezing can actually help to add moisture.

Thank you! Very good to know....I can start baking now for a 24 6" 2 layer cake order that is Feb. 1st!!! Yayayyyyyy!!

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:12am
post #6 of 8

Forgot to ask....how do you wrap them?? Thx

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 8

i do bake and freeze until the icing days

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 8

With cupcakes, I just stick them in a freezer bag. Some people wrap them in plastic wrap first but I don't worry with all that. If you want, you can do two layers of plastic wrap. I have frozen cupcakes for over a month before and they taste super fresh and delicious.

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%