Help With Confectioner Glaze!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 3 Jan 2012 , 9:55pm by milkmaid42

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 4

After applying confectioner glaze, is there a way to take away some of the shine. It's too shiny!!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 4

If it's the real confectioner's glaze, you might be able to paint it with some glaze thinner. If it's one of the homemade glazes, try painting it with vodka. You might have to do it a couple times.

I think it would also work to wait until it's completely dry and then dust lightly with cornstarch.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 4

ThankYou, it is the real confectioners glaze, but I don't have any thinner. Urgh! I will try your suggestion! Thanks again thumbs_up.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 4

In his book, Sugar Flowers for Cake Decorating, Alan Dunn recommends using isopropyl alcohol for diluting confectioner's glaze. While isopropyl is not edible, neither is acetone which is found in commercial glaze thinner. This assumes the gumpaste decoration is not to be eaten.

Dunn suggests three strengths of dilution for varying effects: "Three quarter glaze, ( 1 part alcohol to 3 parts glaze) for a high glaze which takes away some of the "plastic" finish left by undiluted varnish: Half glaze, (equal portions of the two), giving a natural shine for many types of foliage; and Quarter glaze, (3 parts alcohol to 1 part varnish) for leaves and sometimes petals that don't require a shine but just need something stronger than just steaming to set the color and remove the dusty finish."

He goes on to say that the two liquids should be mixed in a clean jar with a lid and stirred or swirled rather than shaken to avoid air bubbles. The item can be dipped in the solution and hung to dry, or painted on---but care must be taken to avoid a streaked effect from the bristles pulling off some of the dust color.

I know that eyebrows might be raised when isopropyl is suggested, but I figure if it is recommended by Alan Dunn, a master in the art of gumpaste flowers, it is certainly good enough for me. You probably have isopropyl alcohol in your medicine cabinet already.

I hope this helps you.

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%