Please Help A Newbie :) Fondant Confusion.

Decorating By vgcea Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 2:02am by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:15am
post #1 of 10

Hello ladies and gents. I recently decided to take my love for cake to the next level, and through google searches I found this site. The information you all have shared has been invaluable; thank you. I've read many threads but at this point I'm somewhat confused.

I like fondant as a medium for covering cakes. So far I have learned that it's better not to put fondant in the fridge but it seems just about everything I know to put under it (SMBC, IMBC, fruit preserves and fillings) needs to be refrigerated. I'm not sure where ganache falls but not all cakes will be appropriate for a chocolate covering.

So what exactly are you all covering (and filling) your cakes with that don't require refrigeration? Doesn't American buttercream (with butter not shortening) and Crusting buttercream require refrigeration because of the milk and/or butter?

Is there a specific type of fondant that is fridge friendly?

So confused...

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

9 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:27am
post #2 of 10

Most fondant is fridge friendly, as far as I'm aware. When you remove it from the fridge, there will be condensation, which makes the fondant sticky, but if you leave it untouched until it dries, you'll be good to go.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:39am
post #3 of 10

Fondant usually does fine in the fridge.

American (crusting) buttercream doesn't need refrigeration. There's enough sugar in it that the sugar basically acts as a preservative for the small amount of milk.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:39am
post #4 of 10

Buttercream and SMBC do not require refrigeration. The sugar in them acts as a preservative. Also, white chocolate ganche would be another option. I left cupcakes with SMBC at room temperature for 3 days and no one became sick.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:43am
post #5 of 10

I also stick fondant in the fridge with no problem. I just don't add any of the gum paste decor until it has warmed up and the sweat has evaporated.

vgcea Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:57am
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so much! You have no idea how relieved I am that I can put fondant in the fridge icon_lol.gif .

So would it be safe to say that if I plan to hand paint any design on the fondant, I would have to wait until after the condensation is gone so that the design doesn't run off or do hand-painted designs withstand the condensation?

Thank you!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:23am
post #7 of 10

I think that's going to depend on your fridge and your house temperature and humidity. Some people don't get much condensation, others get a lot. You can't really test it on a scrap (paint a piece and put it in the fridge, then take it out) because the cake stays colder longer so it gets more condensation, if it's going to get it.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:32am
post #8 of 10

Yes, I would wait to paint it. The amount of condensation does depend on your refrigerator, I have a humidity control that set properly I end up with hardly any. To be safe though, first time trying it out... I'd wait to paint.
I have also heard that placing the cake in a box in your refrigerator helps.

imaginethatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginethatcake Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:53am
post #9 of 10

Another trick for keeping your fondant from getting "Sticky" is to place in it a box before you put it in your fridge. Leve it it the closed box when you take it out of the fridge and much of the condensation will stick to the box not the cake!

At the bakery we've found that with our fridge, fondant covered cakes left in the Fridge exposed to the fan tend to be absorb the moisture in the fridge much more making them SUPER sticky. Placing them in a box will protect them.

vgcea Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 2:02am
post #10 of 10

I can not thank you all enough for these tips. I am deeply grateful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%