Can I Substitute Oil For Shortening In A Cake Recipe?

Baking By justdessertsbyyesi Updated 3 Jan 2012 , 3:10am by karateka

justdessertsbyyesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdessertsbyyesi Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 5

Could you please help with a recipe? When a cake recipe ask for shortening, can you use oil instead? Thank You

Are there any good recipes out there?

4 replies
tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:51am
post #2 of 5

Can you post the recipe so we can see the other ingredients and method used for the cake? Typically, I would not swap oil for solid shortening but it would totally depend on the recipe. There are great scratch recipes out here-just make sure you get them from reputable sources (to ensure they are balanced).

HTH

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 5

What is the reason you wish to try oil instead of shortening? Did you already try this recipe using shortening and you didn't like it?

If you want as equal results as you get using shortening, my guess would be that butter would be a better substitute. Or do you need it to be dairy free? Then maybe Earth Balance buttery sticks would be good. But I've never baked a cake with shortening so I'm just guessing...

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 5

I've had great success with substituting apple compote for shortening. I do this when a recipe calls for shortening and butter.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

Oil and shortening are both 100% fat. I see no reason why you couldn't interchange them. I think I'd measure them by weight. You might see a texture difference, but if you use a neutral tasting oil, the flavor should be similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%