Rice Krispie Wedding Cake $$$

Decorating By Babs1964 Updated 12 Apr 2013 , 3:27pm by emmbeekay

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 1:30am
post #1 of 13

I've been asked to make a 3 tiered wedding cake out of rice krispies. It will be a "naked cake" with a ribbon around each tier and decorated with fresh gerber daisies.
What would you suggest charging as I haven't a clue? Thanks

12 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 1:58am
post #2 of 13

The same as you would charge for any other three tiered wedding cake.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 2:18am
post #3 of 13

"Naked" as in no covering? No buttercream or fondant? No hours of extra work to hide the "cake"?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 2:23am
post #4 of 13

Now that is original! I like it!

If I was just forming crispy treats in cake pans, stacking them, then adding a little ribbon, I would not be able to bring myself to charge even a fraction of what I would charge for a full wedding cake. I'd calculate cost of ingredients plus my time and packaging. Personally I think I could bang that project out in less then 2 hours so that's how I'd price that.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 2:51am
post #5 of 13

Can't help you with price ...but be careful how soon you make them because I know they can get very hard if left out.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 3:41am
post #6 of 13

FromScratch thats exactly what I was thinking! MimiFix yep naked as a Jay Bird icon_lol.gif I really couldn't bring myself to charge the same price as a baked, torted, iced and covered in fondant kind of cake...I personally would feel like I was ripping them off icon_rolleyes.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 13

Never heard of such a cake!. Would like to see photos of it.

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 13

Can't help with pricing, but wanted to reply to Renee. There was a picture of a Kellogg Rice Krispies design for a wedding cake on the official site for Kellogg Rice Krispies. If you go to their site and search for "wedding cake" it should bring it up.

ReneeFLL Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 13

I just googled it and some of the cakes are interesting looking. Not bad at all for a rice krispie cake.

I also agree about not charging the regular cake price.

ReneeFLL Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by getonthemove

Can't help with pricing, but wanted to reply to Renee. There was a picture of a Kellogg Rice Krispies design for a wedding cake on the official site for Kellogg Rice Krispies. If you go to their site and search for "wedding cake" it should bring it up.

Guess we were typing at the same time. I am a slow typer. I will go and check it out.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 13

If they don't have to worry about peanut allergies, adding peanut butter to rice krispy treats it is so yummy! Add one cup of PB per normal size batch of RKT.

If you are ever making these for home consumption, and you like chocolate, take some Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels and place them on top of the treats as soon as you've pressed them into your pan. The left over heat will melt the morsels, then you can spread out the chocolate.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 13

I too agree that there is no way I could charge full price for this. Most of the cost is the time, and I could knock that out in less than 5 hours. If there are elaborate decorations that are time consuming, then I bit more than my gut reaction of about a buck a serving icon_smile.gif

emmbeekay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmbeekay Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 13

How did it turn out? I am going to try to make a 3 tiered square wedding cake for my daughter. I did not take into consideration that the cake pans are 2' tall, and I need 4" tiers. I didn't want to stack them because then you would see a seam. Any suggestions on what to use to get the 4" depth and still keep the sides and tops square?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%