Scottish Kilt Cake Help...

Decorating By MzScarlet Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 4:37pm by cakesrock

MzScarlet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzScarlet Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a long time lurker, first time posting. I figured if anyone would have a good idea how to do this, you all would. I have a birthday cake for next weekend for a guy who recently moved here from Scotland. The cake is to look like a kilt with his family's tartan. I figured to do a quarter sheet two layer, cut into the basic shape then cover with fondant, pleating it as I lay it over the top. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to get the plaid pattern down. My initial thoughts are to roll out a thin sheet first, then cut out the squares and larger strips from colored fondant, lay them on top of the sheet and roll it together lightly, then painting in the finer detail lines. Would this work, and if so, how do I keep such a large piece from drying out too much to put on the cake while I'm working on it?

Yeesh, not sure what I was thinking to take this on....

Thanks for any advice you could send my way.

4 replies
melanieferris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanieferris Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

What about geting some edible icing sheets printed with the correct tartan and then use them like fabric, pleating slightly. That is what is usually done in UK.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 5

I think you have the right idea about layering the fondant. But if your going to make the fondant, for the colored pieces, I'd use melted marshmallows and less powdered sugar. I did this to see what would happen once and I was able to get the fondant sooo thin that I made medical tape for a cake. You could almost see thru it so it will add to the effect. Granted with less powdered sugar, you have to use quite a bit of ps on the table as your rolling, but it didnt dry out. And it still hasnt, i have some in a store brand ziploc that doesn't really seal and its still pliable, it's been my little experiment for about a month now lol... it also shrinks a little after you roll it so don't get aggrivated at that. I want to say I used half the sugar called for, but just look for the consistency of fondant, that still loses it's shape.

Then Id do a layer of regular fondant under it to attach it to, cover the cake with it getting the ruffles you need, then add the colored pieces. Depending on how fondant friendly you are, you could even lay out the pattern of the thin sheets to the size you need, roll out the base fondant and then steam it and flip it on top of the design so when you pick it up, it's got the pattern. I wouldn't roll them on there cause then you could lose the lines.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

The Queen of Tartan is Lorraine McKay. She has a website:
extraicing.co.uk (not sure if that will be blocked on here) - I also think she goes by the name Aine2.
She has some You tube tutorials on tartan.
Check her out. Maybe even email her. I think she may be a member on CC as well.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, Aine2 is a CC'er and she has a good tutorial on how to do plaid. Here is the youtube video:

Chocolate transfers are also an option.
Have fun and good luck -please post pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%