How To Cancel Orders When You Are Sick.

Business By fsinger84 Updated 6 Jan 2012 , 12:00am by Texas_Rose

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 10

Last night I came down with a severe case of the stomach flu. I have a special order due Wednesday (one doz cupcakes) that I would be working on Tuesday night.

I don't know how soon I will feel better and it is an important client so I want to let them know ASAP that I need to cancel their order. I have. Been emailing the client so what should the email say? Should I put in some kind of coupon off of a future order for the trouble?

I do special orders mostly and am a one woman operation so I can't have someone else fill the order. It really sucks because the order is for a biz on the street of my commercial kitchen and it would have been good exposure, there is just no way I'm going to risk making someone sick!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 10

Unless you have dysentary, most stomach flus don't last that long...a day or two usually. You'll probably be over it by Tuesday, but even if you're not, I think you'd be safe doing the order if you wear gloves while you bake and decorate (probably just good handwashing practices would be enough).

Do you know any other bakers who you could get to fill the order? Maybe someone you refer orders to when you have more than you can handle?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 10

How are you feeling now - any better? I agree with Texas_Rose, you'll probably be feeling better before Tuesday. I suggest you wait until tomorrow before sending an email. Feel better soon!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 10

I pray by now you are already feeling a bit better.
A 24 hr YUCK has been going around my area and I bet that's all you have.
Still I would let the customer know and let them decide if they want to chance you making the order or not.
Don';t mince words, just tell them you are sick w/stomach flu and don't thik you can complete the order.

IvyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IvyCakes Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 10

If you still feel the need to cancel the order, you can try contacting other local bakeries first and getting a price quote + seeing if they'd be available and forward the suggestions to your client with apologies, and a discount for their next purchase (So they're sure to come back to you icon_biggrin.gif).

But I agree to wait it out! Those type of things usually only last 1 or 2 days. Along with gloves you can also buy a face mask at the drugstore to use while baking so you won't breath any ickies onto the food. :3

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

How are you feeling now?

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 1:04am
post #7 of 10

Just FYI to all those who get the "stomach flu".

According to the Mayo Clinic: "Although you typically feel better after a day or two, you're contagious for at least three days after you've recovered. Some people may be contagious for up to two weeks after recovery. Also, children are often contagious for a longer period than are adults."

So if you do plan to do it, wear a mask and gloves.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 2:49am
post #8 of 10

I don't cancel orders, ever. I have had mastitis and a 7 tier wedding cake with piping on every tier. I thought I was going to die! I showered twice during, once after I puked and once because I was sweating so badly. My husband drove while I curled up in the seat and shivered and sweat. But they had a cake!

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for everyones advice. I felt fine by Saturday and did the order Tuesday icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 12:00am
post #10 of 10

Glad you're feeling better!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%